AWD problems...

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Spazzy3, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

My AWD Steve has been growing sooo slow since I got him last july. So he must be about 8-9 months old now and hes not even a foot long. Although i have never had a baby water dragon (of any kind) before it doesnt seem like they should grow this slow. I think its mainly hecause he spends 90% of his time hiding if anyone is near him. So i cant even open the cage to feed him without him spazzing out and hiding behind a plant or in his water bowl. I tried taking anything he could hide in out so he couldnt just "dissapear" all the time but that didnt work, he just would sit there with his eyes closed. Out of all my lizards, he has to be the most afraid of any of them. Both my CWDs can get a little shy sometimes but rarely. Ive tried covering half the cage with something like a towel so he would calm down, but it didnt work. Ive tried just leaving him alone, no handling and just only go near his cage when its really necissary (cleaning, feeding) but that didnt work. Ive tried handling him a couple times a week, hand feeding him, different kinds of food. Nothing works. This guy is impossible to tame :x
    Anyone have any experience taming young water dragons? I dont know if there is any different between taming baby chinese and australian ones since this is my first young one. My other 2 where about 16 inches at the time i got them.
    Well anyways, here are some new pics of Steve. He is now around 28 grams, and 11 inches long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

you just gotta take him out everyday hell get use to it mine was like that hes fine now

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. toxicneon_yahoo_com

toxicneon_yahoo_com Embryo

Mine is still sort of like that, around the same age and length, but yours looks bigger to me o_o

Mine? I took him out everyday, talked to him gently, pet him under his neck and on his crest, let him roam around my room.

I think the most useful thing: Handfeed him. Mine LOVES it. I feed him crickets with tongs and he KNOWS when I get ready to do it. He'll perch over my fingers and lunge as soon as the food gets in range. He's calmer than before but still spazzy. :lol:

http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-61141.html << pictures of mine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

Ive tried handfeeding, but he still refuses it. Hes still to worried I might eat him if hes not watching :roll: I guess i just have to keep trying.

His tank is pretty big, im not sure exactly of the dimensions but im guessing its like a 50 gal. Its pretty tall so he deffinetly likes the space. Hes really active and is so funny to watch. Sometimes im lucky and can be somewhere in the room without him seeing me so i can watch him for a while. Ive only ever fed him crickets. All the supers I have are way to big for him right now. Should I get some mealies and leave them in a bowl? I know when my CWDs were younger they LOVED mealies. His only lighting is a 100w powersun bulb and that seems to make perfect temps for him. Hes on repti caprpet right now... I wated to put something more natural so he could dig, but im afraid he'll try to hide in it so im gunna wait until he gets bigger (and not so spazzy).
    Ill try handling him every day for a while and see how that goes. Ill get better pics of him to if i can get him to stay still .

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xToxicneon

xToxicneon Embryo

Mine only liked the mealies when I hadn't fed him crickets for a while, and they were in the dirt. He actually went digging for them! You can try that but what happened with me was the ones he didn't find grew into beetles (and drowned in the pool).

As for dirt, yeah, if he's scared he might dig under something, as mine does that with the pool. He'll go under for a few days and re-emerge. Sometimes I take him out though, to show him he's fine. I also have a 100w Powersun :)

Handfeeding, well mine usually likes it when they're alive and wriggling. IDK it might depend on the dragon.

And yeah, mine does funny things too! He licks things and bobs his head, and he loves doing circuits on his tank/my room.

(My new account BTW)