1. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

I got some wax worms today and I took out all the black dried ones and put a piece of potato in there for them to eat tonight. The thing is that they have warmed up a little and they still aren't moving. Are they just sluggish creatures or could they be dead too? I picked some up and they seem to be squishy enough LOL. Also, I love the idea about the washed playsand from Home Depot, but would Zoo-Med's Repti-Sand be just as good? I know you have lots of Leos so you use lots of sand I'm sure. But would a couple of bags of Repti-Sand be just as good or better? I'm sure you've seen Repti-Sand before; it's VERY fine natural quartz desert sand. I guess this could get a little expensive when I have to throw some more sand in after I clean her poops up. Give me some comparison here dude and I'd really appreciate it. Take it easy brother.

UncleLunchBox ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I can't really help with the wax worm question as I've never run into it, but I've used both types of sand. There really isn't a whole lot of difference (at least to my touch), but the price difference is enormous. If you can get it, go for the washed play sand. We've had agamas on both and the leos will be on the washed play sand again, like they were with Axe, in a couple of weeks. Amenet(viper tailed gecko) is on the play sand that she was on when we got her from Axe and she seems quite content with it as well. Hope this helps a bit... I know I'm not Axe, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

I appreciate every bit of input I get hobotramp so thanks for caring enough to throw some information in there. If you have ideas of any sort hobo, please let me know what you think. Thanks much.

UncleLunchBox :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

my .02..... If you can get the sand from Home Depot or Lowes go that route. Our beardies seem to love it and it easy to keep clean and very cheap.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

We've always had a hard time keeping waxworms alive here. They need to be kept cold and only taken out and warmed prior to feeding them to the beardies. No matter what I do I seem to have dark dead ones daily.

Taken from the refrig and held in a warm hand, they should start moving, they do move very sluggish, not like mealworms at all... and they stop still also a lot, but if held a few minutes they do move.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. GizandLiz

GizandLiz New Member

I have noticed a trend in mine. They only are able to un thaw once. To combat that, you can keep them in a few containers of small amounts, or just unthaw all of them.