Babies born 4/20!

Discussion in 'Boas' started by ssscales, Apr 20, 2006.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

Based on my experience with both Dumerils and Hogs. I would say besides the obvious difference in appearance. Size is roughly the same with the Dumerils being thicker/heavier bodied than the Hogs.

Also Hog babies can be nippy compared to Dumerils babies that come out as calm and docile as can be. I've rarely had a baby Dumeril even hiss at me let along bite! Hog babies are nippy, but with regular handling will calm down in no time.

Dumeril newborns can be difficult to establish feeding, but once they start feeding consistently you won't ever have a problem unless something is wrong. Care is about the same, Dumerils like to burrow as young and it's almost a must to get them feeding early on. Once established they can be kept on paper substrate if preferred.

I love both Dumerils and Hogs, but sway a bit toward Hogs because of the shades of colors, day/night variance, not too mention the Sunset boas they help create. I consider both staple boas and are great!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. oximuis

oximuis New Member

congrats on you newly ones!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

heh, staple boas . . . i like that term. my little hogg is a hissy missy, but she has never struck out. my dumerils are total puppy dogs, and i wouldnt hesitate to let any of my friends that wanted to see what a bigger snake is all about handle my male.

oh boy, cleaning day at ssscales place . . . what a joy that would be after the dozen litters you have for this season come about. i gotta get my snake room finished asap, then i'll see what kind of juvi housing i have available. theres no way i'm leaving your place empty handed!

~Will.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. thepogona

thepogona Member

congratulations! great pictures, good luck in the future with them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ssscales

ssscales Member

update

It's been 9 days since these babies dropped and already 9 out of 26 have shed this morning.

I also offered them some fuzzy mice a little while ago. 14 out of the 26 snatched them up within a minute or so. I'm sure the rest will go down the hatch by tomorrow morning as more go through their shed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

they are real cool

12. ssscales

ssscales Member

Thanks, these babies are already on their 2nd meal and are doing great!
    Gotta love baby boas!

13. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

yeah you got some really pretty snakes

14. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Congrats! The only snake I would consider breeding would be a boa, I just don't do well with eggs. It must be really exciting to come home to that!

15. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Darn, these photos are making me want one more and more! I'm a bit jealous! My boyfriend has a common boa, and I was actually afraid of them until I fell in love with him (Dagger...hence my name :)). He was the first snake I ever touched and after my two lizards are gone, I probably will invest in a beaut :D

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

Boas are great, they tame very easily with regular handling and just make a great pet snake. I should know, I've got 50 adults and sub adults as well ad 26 babies and expecting another 40-60 more by July.

17. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I love the silky feel of a boa. Not really snakey-feeling, like a ball python. Our boa is a great snake.