Baby Anole Care

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Karlee, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

A friend of ours adopted a brown anole baby (maybe an inch long) from a breeder that needed to get rid of his anoles. Of course he said yes but he has no clue what to feed it since it is so tiny. Any one know what to feed an inch long anole?

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Sounds cute! Fruit flies would probably be perfect! :) and pinhead crickets might work, but he might still have to get somewhat bigger to eat those. My green anoles are about full grown now and eat full sized crickets(well medium)-so it will grow up pretty fast.
    What's you're friend keeping him in?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

An old terranium I gave him. Maybe ten gallons until he buys a bigger one and gives me back the old terranium, basking log, and UVA lights. We just always have spares just in case something is ruined or broke or we need to quarentine one of our lizards.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

Ya, it's good to have spares-which reminds me-I need to find a cheap spare now! lol, I've used all mine up for permanent homes now :p And sounds good-he doesn't need much room yet as a baby anyways-that's a lot of room for him now at that size! And UVA lights-so you mean basking lights then? You should tell your friend they also need UVB's to grow properly, but it's okay if he can't get it right away.(I couldn't get one until a few months after I got my guy!)
    And is the terrarium one with extra height? Or just a normal aquarium? Since he's so small, it won't matter much now and I kept mine in a normal 10G for the 1st few months. I'm sure your friend knows-but the humidity needs to be pretty high also! Though they are "cheap" in price and small, they need somewhat extra care.(they're classified as "Intermediate" level)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, I'll text him. He has a chameleon, I think it's a male panther but I haven't seen it in a while.
    As for the enclosure I let him borrow, it is more long then tall but since he is so small, he should still be able to climb quite high. He should already know about UVB needs, but maybe not humidity. He doesn't have web access so he doesn't know what kind of enviromental needs his new pet needs. He has really small waxworms (I mean like they are the midgits of midgit waxworms) that he should be able to feed him until he gets fruit flies. Of course they will make him fat but I think it will be good since it is so young and needs to grow more. He doesn't have much in the cage, only paper towels, a spare log I was going to use for my CWDs since they needed leverage in and out of their water, a food and water dish, and thats it.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

I'm serious about the waxworms. I have never seen an insect so small in my life.

12. lizardgurl87

Uhm, try to see if he can at least get a stick or cheap fake plant in there ASAP, since they're mainly arboreal and love it up high(and I'm sure, even as a baby, that guy will be able to climb! lol). Even a "Repti-Hammock" or "Lizard Ladder"(same brand, though around here,it was sort of hard to find the "ladder")will work okay. I have both for them now(but at 1st, only had the hammock)and they like both, but seem to like the "ladder" more. The worms sound good and it probably is best to give him a little extra now.

If he has a chameleon already, he should be able to maintain a high humidity easily-since, they're one of the hardest to keep the humidity high all the time!(especially with all screen cages!) And the Panther ones are my fave! :) They're differen't and I had one on me at a reptile show I went to-their little feet are awesome! :p

And lol-wow they must be small then! I know there are extra small pheonix worms and they're especially tiny! Since, the biggest ones are only as big as a penny!

13. Karlee

Karlee Member

I don't think he can get them tonight since everything is closed, but he probably can tomorrow. He said he is buying everything tomorrow so he can add some plants and those fake vines he can climb (I have those for my CWDs).
    As for the micro wax worms, Correy said he ate one as soon as he put it in there which is good. He has a cousin who breeds mini wax worms for his lizards (i think he breeds flying dragons... I know they can fly but I am not sure if I'm refering to the right species) so he should have a steady amount of mini wax worms.
    Yeah and Barney is beautful. I haven't seen Barney in a year so I don't what he looks like now but last time I saw him his terostrone levels must have been high because he was "strutting his stuff". He was all bright colored and kept his head high and was looking all over the place and he was just a sight to see. And Correy has a trick to keeping humidity high, he puts wet towels over the top (open roofed) and it makes the entire room humid, let alone just his cage (I do this with my CWDs).
    Wow, I'm glad I have so many friends with reptiles, I learn something from each. How to trick a python to eating frozen food, how to keep humidity stored, how to make an authentic looking waterfall for your lizards (which is what I plan on doing for their adult cage), and how to get bearded dragons from being obese.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. lizardgurl87

That's cool! I didn't expect he should get them right now lol-I just meant soon :) And the micro wax worms sound cool! I'm guessing they're not that hard to breed-like mealworms(even crickets or cockroaches). That's also a good method he has for the humidity for Barney(BTW cute name :p )and those guys are beautiful! They look the best when they're "strutting their stuff" to show off too lol-like a peacock.

And that is cool you have som many friends that can help you with and are truely interested in reptiles! My one friend got me really interested last year when she got a beardie and it made me want to get some. It has really opened my eyes too! Not only do I know more about them, but I've met a bunch of awesome people and feel more welcome in the "reptile world". Before, I never even knew pet stores had crickets and barely looked at the reptiles. Snakes were just snakes, frogs frogs, lizards and geckos were the same! Wow, I'm glad I am part of this (y)

15. Karlee

Karlee Member

Oh... Now I feel like an idiot. He asked me what size cage he should buy for him that will be big enough for an adult. Do you know how big of a cage an adult brown anole needs?
    And I like the name Barney two. His daughter pointed at Barney (Barney was tiny then by the way) and said "Barney". That was how Barney got his name, from a talking dinosaur that hosts a kid show.
    And to be truthful, I only know of other herps. I don't really "know" them. Aquaintances you can say that I meet at petstores and reptile shows. Heck, I can't even remember most of their names. The only herps I actually know are Correy, Clair, and Jonathen.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  16. lizardgurl87

Well, if he's just going to keep the one-he won't need a cage as big. I have an 18x18x18 for my 2(and tree frog). It would really be best to have mainly more height in the cage, but the can live in a normal 10G still if needed.
    http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...9kdWN0Q2F0ZWdvcnkiO3M6MTA6IlRlcnJhcml1bXMiO30
    I have the "medium" like I said, but a small would also be okay for just the one. Even in a "small" he could add one more, but don't pair males! Females are fine together and if you have a male and female-they might mate. There are also Exo-Terra ones, but I prefer the Zoo Med one's style, customer service, and I think the price may be better.

17. Karlee

Karlee Member

Ok thanks, He bought a tall twenty gallon and I'm glad to here that he doesn't need to return the tank. He made it look almost exactly like his chameleons cage but it has a climbing area and high humidity. He says he might buy another one when he is older but when he is older so he doesn't accidently wind up with two males.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  18. lizardgurl87

Well, that sounds great! :) You should tell your friend about this site! :p And he will have plenty of room in that tank! It might even be better to get another one to keep him company later on.

19. Karlee

Karlee Member

He doesn't have internet access... That is why he kept asking me questions

20. lizardgurl87

Oh, that sucks :(

21. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, I kinda feel bad for him for reasons he probably wouldn't appreciate me telling random people. But then I envy him... He has BARNEY! The BEST chameleon in the world! :eek:
    Oh and he named the brown anole Madagascar. I don't think madagascar has anything to do with brown anoles but I know he always wanted to visit (he still might, he is only eighteen).

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  22. lizardgurl87

That chameleon does sound awesome!!! :D And that is a cool name, though I don't think they're really from there either lol-mainly Florida and Hawaii I think. That would be cool to go there! I want to go to Fiji when I'm older and I still could definitely :)

23. Karlee

Karlee Member

No, I know in Florida they are an evasive speices, not sure about Hawaii
    I have always wanted to visit Australia. I love their reptile populations and their beaches. I haven't been to a beach in a while :(, and I live near the Gulf and I haven't been to a beach in maybe five to six years.

24. Karlee

Karlee Member

And I would post pics but I havent taken any of Madagascar. I will eventually but I am busy all day, I am trying to finish the CWD cage since Candy ripped several holes in her screening.

25. lizardgurl87

That sucks Candy went crazy with the cage! :confused: Is she the CWD? I know they're in Hawaii now, since they were introduced there-but, they are originally from Florida I think. I hope you can make it to a beach soon! I'm in Ohio-so no ocean around here! But, a great lake. I have yet to see the ocean, but I'm still young and I should go to Florida next year.