baby black, orange band at neck

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by ipray2mary@hotmail.com, May 21, 2005.

1. ipray2mary@hotmail.com

ipray2mary@hotmail.com Embryo

Hi Snakelovers,

I am new to SO. Florida (wpb) and just saw a baby glossy black snake with a single band around it's neck. My daughter almost picked the critter up! Does anyone know what kind this is and if it is dangerous?

Thanks for the help!
    Michelle

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. adam2373

adam2373 Member

If it looks like this, Southern Ringneck Snake. I find them once in a while around my house. Totally harmless.
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ipray2mary@hotmail.com

ipray2mary@hotmail.com Embryo

Thanks for the reply.

The one I saw was much blacker and the neck band was thin and bright orange. Could the baby start out this way? Could it be something else? It was really only about a foot long and very thin.

Thanks!
    Michelle

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. adam2373

adam2373 Member

they will vary much in color, was it similar to the one pictured? ringnecks i belive will get up to 18 inches.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. flzoo

flzoo Embryo

Yeah, my cat frequently brings me them as presents here in Ft Lauderdale. Itsn't that nice! I love my chams & beardie but have a real dislike for those legless things (I mean I'd never hurt one but I'd prefer not to be in the same room if you know what I mean). Anyway, I was ready to sell the house the 1st few times but have had MANY people tell me they are perfectly harmless. My experience has had them usually pencil thin. I wouldn't sweat it.