Baby Boo is growing

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by LittleLouie, May 26, 2006.

1. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I weighed Baby Boo today, and she nearly doubled her weight in the last week! When I got her, she weighed 3 grams. Today, when I put her on the scale, she weighed 5 1/2 grams. :) I guess that her small appetite is big enough.

[​IMG]
    Hi, I'm Baby Boo, but I'm not much of a baby anymore. Want to see my baby pictures? Or if you would rather read the latest, proceed on to the last page :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

3 grams to 5 1/2 grams?!?! Wow, my green anole even outweighs her! How old is she?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LittleLouie

Well, at the pet store, they called her a juvie, and said that she was less than six month. lol I knew that just by looking. I'm guessing that she was two weeks or less when I got her. Hopefully soon I'll be able to post pics, and maybe you all can tell me :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't think they were legal to sell at that age/size! The smallest leo I got, was one from a breeder at 4 months, he weighed 25 grams. That's tiny! Do you need a magnifying glass to see the crickets you feed her? :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Klare88

Klare88 New Member

Good luck hope it will keep growing.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LittleLouie

I have no clue on the legality. Maybe TN is different than NH. They had several little ones about her size all together, and aparently they had just shipped in the day before. She is tiny though, and very cute, and seems to be doing well. Since she only takes two prey items at a time (I feed her twice a day, and leave meal worms in there for her) and an occasional snack, I had been worried that she wasn't eating enough, but nearly doubling her weight in one week sounds good to me. :)

12. Kendergirl

Kendergirl Member

3 grams is basically a fresh hatchling. I have no idea about the legal status of selling one (though I assume it IS legal), however, most breeders find it morally wrong due to the more fragile state.

13. LittleLouie

Wow. When I got her, I didn't think that they sold them less than four weeks. Then I looked at pictures, and guessed that she was somewhere between hatchling and one month, but I hadn't expected for her to be just just hatched! Is there anything special I should be doing for her besides feeding small food and dusting it, not handling much, and keeping the temps correct?

14. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

There is no legislation on when or when not they can't sell them I don't think. We get ours around a month old. They can eat small crickets and mealworms very easily.

Nothing extra you have to do but make sure she's eating :)

15. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

LittleLouie, can you post some pictures of her?

16. LittleLouie

I'll give it a try. I've got some . . . now to figure out how to do it. I should have time to experiment Monday.

17. LittleLouie

Wow! she had a really good meal tonight! I tried her on some tiny crickets that are finally big enough for her to be interested in (about half the size of the small ones from the pet store) and she ate 23 of them! Along with two meal worms! And her tail is starting to get a little fat on it too! I'm excited to see her eating and growing well :(

18. LittleLouie

Finally, after several hours of experimenting, here is a picture of Baby Boo the day I brought her home, 10 days ago.
    [​IMG]

19. LittleLouie

[​IMG]

Here she is with a penny for size comparison. She did not like being in that little plastic container that the pet store people put her in. She is looking hard up the edge and trying to figure out how to climb up it's slick edges.

20. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

aw! s/hes adorable! Very pretty, glad s/hes putting on a lot of weight! Keep up the good work :wink:

21. beardiefreak

beardiefreak Member

wow thats tiny but definetly adorable :) . glad you got her now shell be really healthy

22. LittleLouie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are two pictures of Baby Boo taken May 25, after I had her six days, and two days after her shed. She's still very small, but she has grown a lot.

Her stripes appear to have broken up more since this picture. Does that only change when they shed? How often can they shed at this age? I saw pieces of her shed May 23, but haven't seen any signs of her shedding since then.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some current pictures of her tomorrow. I can't believe how much she's grown and changed in just two weeks!

23. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Very cute!
    With each shed the bars will break up more and more into spots. She should be shedding every 2-4 weeks at that age. They grow pretty quickly when they're young. So make sure she's getting enough calcium and vitD3 so she grows up with good strong bones.
    But she's looking real good so far.
    And look! She's got the same lobster pattern on her head that Cerus's babies have!

24. LittleLouie

Sure enough. I'm giving her the vitamines and d3 each once a week, and calcium five days a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took these pictures last night and this morning. She sure has grown :D This evening, when I got home from church and looked in on her, I noticed that she has a greyish look, so I am guessing that she will be shedding later on tonight. Her humid hide is all ready ( always is, but I just made sure for tonight). I had been wondering how she could get any bigger without shedding soon. If she sheds tonight, that will be 9 days. I wonder how much she will change with this shed.

25. Duster619

Duster619 Embryo

Very nice progress!!
    lookin healthy@!