Baby Brown Anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Waterbearer_28, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Waterbearer_28

Waterbearer_28 Embryo

Hello I recently moved back to Wisconsin from Florida (sort of unwillingly) but anyways, I brought up all my plants and obviously a few Brown anole eggs. So today I just found another baby running around in my Fern plant...this is the 3rd one ive found in 2 months. The first one I found while I was vacuuming..thank goodness I noticed him, he was 1 inch from the vacuum hose..he lived for 1 day. The second one I found near my dog's food bowl..so I set up a little 2 gallon tank I had w/ some of the soil from my plant (which was mainly Florida sandy soil)
    I caught ants outside, bought flightless fruit flies for it, but no luck, the poor thing was barely eating..he lived 2 weeks...so I came across some info on the web about baby anoles, and bought Apricot baby food, mixed it w/ honey and water..and have it in a seashell. Like I said, I just a few hours ago found another one..in my Fern plant..I have him in a 5 gallon bucket w/ mulch and a plant to hide in and I have an old fish tank lamp on him for heat. This is only temporary until I get to the pet store tomorrow...any other suggestions on how to keep him alive and strong, please let me know.... also have 2 green Anoles I bought last month from a pet store here, they are fine and actually seem to be mating. But please give me some suggestions on how to care for this little guy..what is the right kind of bulb to buy for heat/light and what else can i feed him besides the baby food/honey mixture???
    Keep in mind this baby Anole is very tiny, about the size of my pinky tip..I have crickets for my adult anoles, but they are too big for him to eat.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Hi,

I went through the same thing last year with babies. Ants are no good. Apparently it's something about the formic acid content in them. Flightless fruit flies and pinheads (or 1/8" crix at the largest), seemed to work well for our babies. We had them in a 10G tank with a 60W incandescent bulb for heat and a Repti-Sun 5.0 for the UVA/B lighting. Happy to say both babies made it. Hope this helps.

[Edited on 5/8/2003 by hobotramp]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Also be sure to have hiding places for the baby, a water dish (not too deep in case it falls in), and some sticks and leaves (vines) for it to climb on. They're little acrobats just like the green anoles and their set-up should be pretty much the same.