ball cold?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by jordylah1, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jordylah1

jordylah1 Embryo

can ball pythons get colds?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

hello tagu
    you asked a very important question, I saw that no one answred you.
    the answer is YES,
    they can get cronic sinus from multi sickness,they can get respitory infections, and also pneumonia. if not brought to a vet and getting on antibiotics,I know vets are expensive expecially, if you have to take them to a vet that does reptiles.
    there are 2 different kinds of shot antibiotics 1. is batryl 2.pippercillen.
    do your baby a favor and get him checked. if you wait till they are open mouth breathing,I say 50/50 for getting over it.
    I say that because spooks my big boy faught it off. but I had a female. and i did the same thing for both under two vets. one is far away if I need something quick, i go to this other one. . but little foot. had started off with the same thing but she did expire. my vet was nice enough todo a necropsi.
    when they cut her open everything looked fine till we cut the lung. they pulled out a sack of puss it was incased bodys way to leal. and of course the esophagist was pussy. but I never seen a puss pocket the size of the lung and she was almost 3 it was wild , and I hurt for the loss. but i had to go tell my niece and my great neice of 3 that she passed away so im babbaling. i hope this helps
    thank you shy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

hello tagu
    you asked a very important question, I saw that no one answred you.
    the answer is YES,
    they can get cronic sinus from multi sickness,they can get respitory infections, and also pneumonia. if not brought to a vet and getting on antibiotics,I know vets are expensive expecially, if you have to take them to a vet that does reptiles.
    there are 2 different kinds of shot antibiotics 1. is batryl 2.pippercillen.
    do your baby a favor and get him checked. if you wait till they are open mouth breathing,I say 50/50 for getting over it.
    I say that because spooks my big boy faught it off. but I had a female. and i did the same thing for both under two vets. one is far away if I need something quick, i go to this other one. . but little foot. had started off with the same thing but she did expire. my vet was nice enough todo a necropsi.
    when they cut her open everything looked fine till we cut the lung. they pulled out a sack of puss it was incased bodys way to leal. and of course the esophagist was pussy. but I never seen a puss pocket the size of the lung and she was almost 3 it was wild , and I hurt for the loss. but i had to go tell my niece and my great neice of 3 that she passed away so im babbaling. i hope this helps
    thank you shy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Lil shy aries is right. RIs (respiratory infections, primarily upper respiratory infections) are very common in balls, especially with the combination of too cold and too humid. Symptoms include wheezing and whistling, mucous around the nose, eyes, and mouth, and open mouthed breathing. Do not confuse this with "stargazing", which is a symptom of IBDV, not a RI. If you know how to open their mouths without doing any damage, do so and check for mucous around the gums.

RIs can be fatal if not treated. I've had snakes with RIs and it is NOT fun, but if you catch it early and get the snake on meds (Baytril, commonly), it is fairly easy to treat.

The most important thing while treating a RI is that you have an experienced and certified exotics vet. My local Community Animal Hospital has several vets that have degrees in exotics medicine; no need to find a specific "herps only" clinic, just make sure the vet is certified. So many people have had their reptiles treated by uncertified vets that have made the condition worse.

Check out these sites if you're looking for a vet.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-heal...et-listing.aspx

Even if your snake isn't sick, it's best to find a vet and register your snake at their clinic before something happens. Especially if there is an emergency, your snake's life could depend on whether you have the right contacts beforehand instead of flipping through the yellow pages while your snake is dying.