Ball Python and Enclosure pics

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Cookie17, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Cookie17

Cookie17 HOTM Winner June

I am interested in seeing how every has their ball pythons housed and what their snake looks like :)
    POST AWAY :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I'll get pictures up of a baby bin soon, but I house mine pretty simply:

Babies up to 250grams - 6qt Sterilite shoebox or similar size. I use aspen for substrate, a water dish made from a small PVC coupling and 2oz souffle cup, and a hide. The PVC coupling prevents substrate from being dragged into the water dish by adding some height aids in prevention of spilling, and the cups are cheap and disposable if necessary.

Subadults - 16qt Sterilite bin, similar setup.

Adult males and subadult females - 28/32 qt bins. Here's a picture example of a subadult in a 28qt, the water dish is a larger PVC coupling (threaded) that holds a butter container for a water bowl. I stole the idea of using the PVC with the dishes from Justin Kbolyka, its an awesome idea. Snakes won't tip it over (but might push it around) and it prevents substrate and poo from getting in the water.
    [​IMG]

Adult Females - 41qt bin (breeders would not be given aspen, as it can get in the way and cause issues during copulation).

Temperatures are controlled with a proportional thermostat and heat tape for belly heat.

If you just wanted to see some balls here are a few.

Louie likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The more pics the merrier! Congrats on the new addition!! = ) He is such a pretty little boy!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

you got a het clown for $30!! thats crazy! where did you get him!

Cookie17 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cookie17

I have more pics coming of my other new addition... and I got him from a pet store in VA Beach, called Pet Paradise. he's not a proven het yet, 66% het clown, so we will see when he gets older. I'm going to get a female clown for him and breed to prove him out (or not). I also got a Pastel BP today for $70, another male from the same store. this one is about half a foot larger than the other.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Awesome snake :D I like the pattern. I think some normals look better than a lot of the morphs.

12. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

That's cool! and you have 3? I thought it was the 2 BP's, but you have another too? They look nice! :)
    Also, nice vid! Looks like he's feeding well!

13. Cookie17

thanks... :) I got "yelled" at when I put it on a reptile group in facebook... for feeding live... and holding the mouse in my hand...
    And the one on the far right is a tiny Tennessee Ringneck who will be rehomed into a 10 gallon with a lot of soil to burrow in :)
    They are great tempered, very calm. they all are great with being handled. the Ring-neck is so tin, like the circumference of a worm and about 9 inches long. will be trying F/T on thursday, their next feeding. the ringneck eats worms. I have a video of that too. :) I just wanted to see them eat live as I have never seen one eat live before... oh well. it is my choice after all. but i will do F/T

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. lizardgurl87

Well, sometimes you have to feed them live though, it may seem cruel-but it's just the life cycle honestly. It's what would happen in the wild and I don't think you did anything wrong :)
    I don't know all the terms lol is F/T the frozen thawed I'm guessing? I plan on feeding those when I get mine, but if it won't take them-I'll have to go with live, it is what they would normally eat anyways.
    You should post some pics of the ring-neck too, he seems pretty small to be eating worms and all! Where'd you get him?

15. Cookie17

He isn't too small... :D
    and yes, F/T is frozen/thawed
    Find out what the snake is being fed from who you get it from...
    you could always get a juvie snake for the 20 Long you have while you save up for a 40 breeder... because they will take a little while to outgrow it :D

16. lizardgurl87

I was planning on getting a juvie anyways I'm pretty sure, since it's fun to see them grow and all :D I was hoping to start with the tank that would be fine for it all it's life, but I may just get a 20 at first and when I get the bigger, I'll have a 20 to put something else in! :)
    So, he's just a small kind of snake then ok lol-how big will he get when grown? I know even corn, milk, and king snakes don't get that big(thickness or length).

17. Cookie17

If they are in too big of an enclosure, they won't be able t get around much, or may get lost... and they get around 3 feet in length. (ring necks)

18. Lapidary

Lapidary New Member

Both my ball pythons have been housed in different sized Smart Store boxes until they've been big enough to be transferred to their final enclosures. For some reason, I have only taken pictures of my older bp's second home:

[​IMG]

These pictures are really old and I might've forgotten some details, but I think this was about 30 gallons. All my baby set ups have been really simple and basically they've just supplied what the snakes need: one hide at the cool side and the warm side, a shallow water dish, some plants to make the snake feel more secure and a heat mat under the set up. At this point I remember I had just switched the newspaper to "woodchips" (I don't know the correct term, sorry, English isn't my first language) and my snake absolutely couldn't stand it at first. :D She would stay in her hide like three days before finally having the nerves to touch the weird substrate. Here's a picture of the resident herself (Normal 66% Poss. Het Piebald) and another picture of the baby set up.. maybe you can't see but under that bushy fake plant there actually is another hide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Louie

Louie Member

Great looking BP and enclosure that vase hiding area looks real nice.

20. Cookie17

very nice! i use reptile aspen :D i have heard of people using eco-earth (coconut fiber substrate) but i don't think it's a good idea but i don't know for sure. also, i'm allergic to coconut. i'm allergic to aspen too just not as bad. i love the vase too! my two are in 42 qt sterilite tubs right now. i have to get 41 qt long sterilites from target, for their permanent enclosures but now yet :D they are about 2 feet now.

21. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

I like the neat pot in there for a hide cave! I house my balls in a 55 gallon tank.