Ball python and moving.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by RyoIsaguri, Jan 30, 2005.

1. RyoIsaguri

RyoIsaguri Embryo

So heres a question for all you snake experts, not to say im not fairly knowledgeable, but im unsure of this fact.

This summer im planning on moving to Massachusetts to be with my girlfriend, and i have a ball python.

I have heard that snakes can become stressed during travel, and movement and could possibly die. My question is this: "Is there a safe way to transport her without her being in danger?"

Its a 24 hour drive, but ill be stopping about half way since were not in a huge rush to get there.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Pack it just like you would if you were shipping it....tape a 40-hour heat pack into one corner of a small box and put some wadded newspaper in the box; put the snake in a snake bag, and place the bag in the box where the snake can reach the heat pad but can also move away from it if it wants. Seal the box, keep it out of extreme temperatures, and move the box as little as possible. Put a few small air holes in the box so fresh air can get in (also the heat packs use up some oxygen if I recall correctly). I moved cross-country last year and this is how I packed my ball python, except we flew so his box was handled by the air cargo department. They placed his box in the heated part of the baggage hold where large dogs and other pets are kept. I ordered a Brazilian rainbow boa last month, and she arrived via UPS with the same packaging method.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RyoIsaguri

RyoIsaguri Embryo

What exactly is a snake bag if i may ask? And where would i find one?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Snake bag = pillow case
    best thing to use is a styrofoam cooler . they breathe well and keep the cool air in. Contrary to belief if not the heat you want to keep in, they can get heat stroke very quickly. Just make sure it doesn't bounc around allot. Keep it out of direct sunlight.