Ball Python Bitten On Face - Merged Two Topics

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by rickjames, Aug 22, 2004.

1. rickjames

rickjames New Member

HELP..rat bit ball on the face.

it was feeding time for my ball, so i dropped the rat in the tank...well, needless to say, the rat went psyhco and attacked the snake, and bit him on the face :D i tried to get the rat out, but he kept on attacking my hand also, so i had to grab a glove, and in the mean time he bit him again....im so upset. damian is bleeding on his face, its right above his nostrals. i already soaked him in warm water, but what else should i do? please help..thanks..
    very upset owner.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

First off get some neosporin on the cuts, make sure it's not the pain relief type. Next get an appt for the vets!!!!
    How bad is the bite?
    Can you get some pictures of it?
    After you have had a diagnosis on the cut and it has had time to heal you will probably have a LOT of trouble getting your snake to eat again.... but we can help you out getting it to eat again. You also need to get the snake over to f/t instead of live!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. herpslave

herpslave Member

Slam the rats head on a table in a grocery bag or something. That is a quick death. Live rats are dangerous to feed to snakes,

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

rats are way more aggressive than a mouse and should be offered dead. please post pics like stormy said

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. djradam

djradam New Member

the only time i had a problem with a rat was when it was in the cage for about 30-45 minutes with the snake. other than that, my baby gets the rat right away.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

My question is why would you do that? Were you unexperienced at that time?

12. rickjames

rickjames New Member

no not at all..usually when i feed him, he will attack it by the time the rat hits the cage..but i turned away for a little bit...and i heard the snake hissing and he never hisses..i did put neosporian on the cuts, its actually looking alot better today.

13. rickjames

rickjames New Member

did that lol.

14. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

First off, sorry to hear that happened. Second, it was going to happen eventually for several reasons. Feeding live prey is dangerous. Rodents are extremely defensive animals, especially when there is an obvious predator right in front of them. They will attack before being attacked if given the chance. Their incisors are brutally sharp and cut deeply, I should know, I still have the scars. Rats, when backed into a corner, a ferocious, and will fight anything. This is why it is HIGHLY recommended that you do not feed live prey. Frozen/Thawed (F/T) or fresh killed are the best bets. Plus, F/T, being frozen, will be less likely to harbor bacteria or pests that could be potential disease agents. Also, You don't want to feed in the cage if you can help it. This conditions the snake to learn that you opening the cage means food time. This will trigger the strike reaction and will get you bitten sooner or later. Plus, removing the snake every feeding to place him in a feeding bucket or cage teaches him that human contact and handling is a good thing...good things will happen when he's handled. Plus it's just cleaner to have a bucket to disinfect every feeding instead of of worrying about bedding being swallowed or blood in the cage.
    Again, sorry this happened, I hope he heals, but this is a perfect example of why we preach so much against live feeding in cages.

15. rickjames

rickjames New Member

thanks for the post...

i dont feed my snakes in there cage, i take them out and put them in a big storage bin. i am now going to prekill the rats before hand, i feel terrible that he is in the condition that he doesnt need to be in. thanks for your help..

16. rickjames

rickjames New Member

more help from last topic..snake bit on face...

i noticed an cut next to his nosral(s) near both..and on his top "lip" i cleaned up all the cuts and put neosporan on them, making sure his nostrals arent covered up for obvious reasons...now that i looked at him today, he is openning his mouth ALOT, he never did this before, is he now hungry??? not streaching it, just having it ajar. i took him out today to over look him, and both his nostrals are closed? how can that be? is he breathing out his mouth? is that even possible? im going to call the vet up in a bit..but tomorrow is my only day to take him in until the weekend. so i want to know what i can do i the mean time, am i freaking out to much???

17. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It's really hard to say without seeing pics of the damage. It sounds like it may be swelling from the bite or possibly infection. GET TO THE VET ASAP!! Tell the vet is an emergency case.
    Be prepared for a long road to full recovery with your snake.

18. djradam

djradam New Member

is he shedding? i know my snake opens his mouth a lot when shedding.... but good luck on the snake healing! that's what vets are for

19. rickjames

rickjames New Member

i dont know if he is shedding..since ive had him, he hasnt..so how can i tell?

i have an appt tomorrow..there goes some money :( even if he is ok, i just want to know i wont find him dead tomorrow ya know..
    thanks.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if he is shedding then his eyes should be cloudy and his scales should be a dull color

21. biochic

if he was getting ready to shed, then at some point within the past week or so his eye would have clouded over and his scales would have started to appear very dull. You probably would have noticed it.
    I agree with stormy that if his nostrils are 'closed' then it could be from swelling. Snakes should never mouth breath. Definite sign something is wrong. Good luck with your vet appt. Hope all goes well.

22. rickjames

rickjames New Member

i took him in today..he said he might be coming down with an infection, so the dr. gave me shots that i have to give him every 3 days. he said that damien was very minor..which i was pleased about. so every 3 days i have to give him a shot. he said in a week i should see some difference in him...and yes, today his eyes got cloudy, so he is shedding also.

23. djradam

djradam New Member

i'd feel uncomfortable giving my snake a shot ... maybe that's because i hate shots. we have to give my dog 2 shots a day because he has diabetes

24. biochic

I had to give one of our agamas injections when it was sick. Subcutaneous (just under the skin) to inject a pocket of fluids...for rehydration like an internal IV bag sort of. I was a nervous wreck the first time, hands shaking and all, but then I got the hang of it and it wasn't so bad for either of us.

25. rickjames

rickjames New Member

just some updated news. he is doing just fine. and he finally ate a small rat yesterday, so almost 2 months or so without eating he finally took one down..and yes it was a live rat, but it didnt matter, when i tossed it in the feeding tank, he was on it like a fat kid eatting cake.