Ball python impaction?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by skrwdrivr, Apr 12, 2005.

1. skrwdrivr

skrwdrivr Embryo

Last night my ball python ate. I saw it eat the rat till it was half way down, then i went to get water for the geckos. Wen i got back it was swallowing the end of the rat but i thought i saw a piece of bark in its mouth!! I use bark as a substrate... CAn it get impacted and die? =( What can i do to 'help'? Do all snakes die of impaction. Its a piece of tree bark, and looks digestable since its organic... will the ball pythons enzimes be able to break it down? =(

Thanks
    Rob

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

If it has problems pooping after a while try putting her in some warm water. I dont think you will have a problem. But thats why I feed in a seperate tank, it just makes it easier

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It really depends on what size the "bark" was. If it was just one piece that was relatively small, then you're probably ok. A lot of times impaction occurs because of repeated ingestion of substrate. This is one of the big reasons a lot of us recommend feeding in a separate enclosure or bucket without substrate in it...removes this risk. there's really nothing to do now but wait and see. It will most likely pass but it all depends on the size. Just keep an eye on the snake and next feeding, try a feeding cage or ventilated bucket.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

Something else you can do that I did for the snakes I took care of at a nature center is lay a paper towel down on the substrate and lay the prey on that so your snake gets a clean bite. Personnally I feel it is better to fed a snake in it's enclosure because I think it is stressful to move them after they have eaten but it's up to you. I also keep most of my snakes on newspaper for this reason.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. skrwdrivr

skrwdrivr Embryo

Thanks alot guys =)