Ball Python shedding and feeding issues

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Bambi, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

My boyfriend's Ball Python regularly sheds once a month. However, it has been two or three months since she's shed and we're getting worried. Her eyes only recently turned blue and her skin is now a dark red color. I'm wondering if humidity could be a problem? She eats well and hasn't presented any other problems. A new male ball python was introduced to her cage but she's shed since he's been there. He hasn't eaten since he's arrived, but I've heard this is normal as he is adjusting to a new owner. Any advice on helping her to shed or him to eat would be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

You shouldn't house the two ball pythons together. If you intend to breed them, a 90 day quarinteen period in necassary. AS for the red skin, maybe you could spully us a picture?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

They do get 'pink' bellies when they shed. As they grow and get older, they will shed less often. As it eaten the same as before? Or has this slowed as well?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

She still eats regularly, he is exploring the idea of getting bigger prey for her, and yes, her belly turns pink after she has just shed.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

supply**** haha, thats what Iget for typing too fast!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I was wondering what spully was, thought I was missing out on some new lingo. I'll see what I can do, my camera needs a new battery but maybe this will be my motivation to get one...

12. Janice

Our BP turns pink during a shed. Hmm, I have never looked after.

13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

It's a very pale rosy pink, just a tint, nice and shiney

14. Janice

How long has the male been in with her, and could she be pregnant?

15. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I think about four months, maybe a little more. I know nothing about pregnant snakes or mating.

16. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

you never heard of spully? geeze .. hah

I have never noticed Sasha having a pink belly afterwards, and I don't have experience with pregnant snakes .. but I always love seeing pictures. =D

17. Bambi

Bambi New Member

FINALY a picture of staci! She still has not shed.
    [​IMG]

18. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Here's a picture of her next to Vincent for some comparison. Vincent is on the top, Staci on the bottem. Usually she is slightly darker than he is, but not this much.

[​IMG]

19. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

That's odd. I don't know what it is. All I can say, is a few days ago I saw Columbian red tail who's shed stuck to him due to too high of tempature, not enough humidity, and now he has a pink - ish color. Did you do anything different before/during her shed?

Then again, I may be completely off.

20. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Well, I'm not sure, they're my boyfriend's snakes but he usually lets them be while they shed becuase Staci can get pretty grumpy. He hasn't changed anything about the temperature, and I don't think he's purposely changed the humidity. Her skin isn't showing any signs of shedding, no flaking anywhere. It just feels very thick and doesn't have that normal slippery feeling. If it is a lack of humidity, how do you up the humidity in the tank?

21. Slavacos

Slavacos New Member

I recently built a humidifier for my 80 gallon tank. It involves a aquarium air pump, aquarium air bubble stone, tubing, a 2L pop bottle and glue. You start by punching two holes in the 2L's lid that are the same size as your tubing. You then plug one end of a section of tubing into the output for the air pump and the other end of the tube through one hole in the lid so that the end of the tube rest in the bottom of the bottle. You then attack the Air/fiz stone to that piece of tube. the second piece of tube is place in the second hole in the lid so that the end is only about 1" into the bottle. The other end of that tube goes where you want the humidity to be the highest in your tank. Last of all you fill the bottle with about 1L of distiled or treated water and turn on the pump. The pump pushes dry air into the bottle fizzes it through the water and then forces it into the tank. Mine cost me $13.00 Canadian to build.

22. Slavacos

Slavacos New Member

Sorry about the spelling errors there. Aside from the humidifier I find that just covering the lid of the tank and placing a moist sponge in the tank work well too. That redness is a really neat color, are you sure you want to change it? (do whats best for your snake!)

23. Janice

I've never seen such a dark ball python. I can't imagine what's going on with her.

24. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Hi every one, I know it's been a while since I followed up. Staci shed just after I posted pictures of her and has been shedding regularly since, and Vincent has FINALY started eating after 5 long months of starvation. *phew* Staci has been a rare sight since she was given a new hide which she seems to like a bit too much. I haven't seen her complete body in a week or two. She's eating fine though so we aren't too worried.

25. Janice

Great, our hasn't eaten in over a month, because of shedding. He usually takes exactly 5 days to shed, from the time his eyes cloud over to when the shed actually comes off. He won't eat of course. I can't believe it is taking this long. He's never done this before.