Ball python tank size

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Tim90, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

I am planing on geting a ball python and have a 30inch long by 12 inch wide and 17 inch high aquamum set up and was wondering if that is big enough for a baby BP. Also I am worried about it not being hot enough. It gets up to about 80F but thats it .it is winter here in Oh. Also How can I be sure I have enough Humidity

Worried snake lover

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sorry for being brief in this post gotta head to dinner... there are a number of care sheets floating around the internet that will give you detailed information... hit google.com and search "ball python care sheet"
    In a nut shell though.... the cage size is fine. Temps on the hot side side need to be around 89 during the day time with a 5 degree night time temp drop. Humidity and temps can be measured with a all in one type unit that can be purchased from Walmart for around $18. It will measure the temps on the hot side, cold side, and give humidity all in one glance. With a cage that size make sure you get plenty of hides for the snake so that it never has to feel "exposed". Thats important with a ball python!
    Good luck and post away if you have more questions!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Thanks i got here by looking at google so i kepp looking at THOUSANDS f pages

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

The under tank heater should be capable of bringing the temp up quite a bit more than that unless the room is cold or there is nothing holding the heat into the cage. Covering at least half of the screen top on the cage with tin foil or saran wrap will help hold in the humidity and heat. Another thing that will help temps and humidity is to use cypress mulch as a substrate instead of some carpet or newspaper.
    How and where are you measuring the temps?
    A digital thermometer placed approx 1" about the surface of the substrate would be the best. You can pick up a digital thermometer from Walmart for about $14 and it will give you temps on both sides of the cage and the humidty level all in one unit.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Ok
    Im using Pea gravel for my subtrate but Ill also try Rep. bark.
    If I use news paper I am afraid of burns on the snake.
    I also think the gravel is hotter than the air.
    I have 1 thormemtors on above the heater and 1 above the Hide spot

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

If the thermometers are not the digital type then your temps could be way off. Invest the money in a decent digital thermometer/hygrometer.
    You need to get the snake off of the pea gravel! Gravel isnt an acceptable substrate for a snake. A very inexpensive substrate that looks good and helps hold humidity is Cypress Mulch. You can get it at most Home Depots, Lowes, and even some Walmarts.
    Hides: Get another hide.... you should have one on the hot side and one on the cool side. If you have a big cage then you might want to add even more hides. The less the snake has to be "Exposed" in the cage the happier and less stressed it will be.

Check in the hardware section for the thermometer, the garden section for the mulch, then to the home wares section for a cheap rubbermaid tub for feeding the snake in. :)
    Gotta love walmart... a whole lot cheaper than the local pet shop :D

12. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Fortanatly I dont have one yet.