Ball Python vs. Corn Snake

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by herp_luver, Aug 18, 2004.

1. herp_luver

herp_luver Embryo

I was planning on getting a corn snake, but lately I cannot help but be fascinated and enthralled by ball pythons. :roll: Is a ball python harder to take care of than a corn snake? I've never had a snake before, but I'm very committed to researching any pet before buying it. Thanks for reading and/or replying. :mrgreen:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

Well I like corns better. Reason why? They look much cooler, In my view. There requirements are quite easy to do. They are both very tame. A ball python gets quite fatter then a corn. But corns again in my view are much prettier.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Corn and BPs are both gorgeous snakes. The corn does have a lot easier care requirements and is a lot less prone to having feeding issues.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

If this is your first snake, I would definitely recommend a corn rather a BP just because of space requirements and handling experience. BP's are great snakes generally, but they can be a handlful for someone inexperienced. Start smaller, cheaper, and read all you can get your hands on!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. herp_luver

herp_luver Embryo

Thanks for all your help! I think I'll go with a corn snake. For now... :wink:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. keiko

keiko New Member

yes i would get a corn for my first snake to. i am going to get my first this spring i am going with a bp though but i have held bp many times

12. BoaBabe448

BoaBabe448 New Member

I would get a BP. But thats just me. Bps are just as easy to care for as corns, but they are more prone to go off feed. Ball Pythons are SO much prettier than corns.

13. bpkid

bpkid Embryo

To me bps are prettier than corns,that is just my opinion.Sure they might go off feed,but thats normal!I mean,if you get a true captive born,well-started,you shouldnt have a problem.

its just my 2cents

14. bpkid

bpkid Embryo

15. DaytonaBall

DaytonaBall Embryo

I just got a BP and I love it so far. Only had him for a few days so I guess it is to early to tell if I am going to have problems or not, Ill have to let you know.

16. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I have never had a corn snake so I cannot tell you comparatively speaking if one is easier to take care of than the other. I can tell you I have had a BP for just about a year and it is the easiest animal I have to take care of by a long shot!

The only issue I had was that it went off feed last year for about 4 months. In the beginning of that episode it was somewhat frustrating because I was wasting mice weekly but after a month of weekly offerings I was told to just offer a mouse about every three weeks until he eats again then go back to weekly. From that point on it was just simple and when he started eating again it was kind of cool. He hardly lost any weight during the time and was still active. He just wasn't hungry. When you have a BP it's something you know and accept that it may go off feed for a while. No big deal as long as it isn't losing weight.

I don't know about corns personalities but my BP is a joy to handle. As friendly as a little puppy dog and just as cute too once I began to get attached to it, which took about a month. Again I don't know the requirements of keeping a corn but I think keeping a ball is fairly simple to do.

Everybody has their own opinion on what the best beginner snake is and I think the main thing when deciding which one you want is really just your particular preference. I think if BP's are a little more difficult to keep than corns, if you are leaning towards a more heavily bodied snake, the difference in difficulty must be so small the level of difficulty shouldn't even be considered. On the flip side if you're leaning towards a smaller snake with the traits of a corn, even if a BP were a little easier to keep, you should get a corn.

My point is between the two I don't think the level of difficulty to keep them should be very high up on the list of deciding factors. Instead I think the deciding factors should be what you are looking for in a snake.

17. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 New Member

Before you buy a ball python READ THIS

Corns and ball pythons are both great first snakes. Still I think corns are the ultimate first snake.

Before anyone considers buying a ball python, keep in mind that rescues across the nation have tons of them. Why buy when you can adopt and possibley save one in doing so? Same thing goes for iguanas.

Find out how you can get involved in reptile rescue at www.forgottenfriend.org .

Jesse
    Forgotten Friend Reptile Sanctuary

18. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right rugbyman.... there are tons of snakes out there in rescues and it's sometimes less expensive to acquire a snake that way then going and buying it in a store. Burms, Retics, and Boas plague the rescues!