Ball Pythons in Queensland

Discussion in 'Australian Forum' started by Artuin, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Does anyone know any where I could get a Ball Pyhton in Queensland, or any breeders near the Gold Coast :?: Any help would be great.

Thanks

Artuin :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. luxie

luxie Embryo

Artuin,
    Ball Pythons are an exotic reptile and are therefore illegal to keep in any part of Australia. We can only keep native reptile legally under license here. Although there are certainly people in Australia illegally breeding exotic reptiles like ball pythons, I certainly would not recommend buying one and you would probably find it a bit hard to find some one who keeps them illegally that is willing to admit to it on a public forum. There are a very small number of people who do keep exotic here legally under license (as they were granted licences to keep them during the amnesty awhile back) but these people are not allowed to sell or breed from these animals.

Sorry for the bad news (I would love to have a ball python too) but I hope this information helps.

Cheers,
    Luxie

P.S For more information on what reptile you can legally keep in Queensland check out http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/ecoaccess/plants...ional_purposes/

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Awwww

Awww, I thought they were legal. :cry: Thanks for that info, Oh well I also like stimspons ut i had my heart set on a BP, ok thanks :cry:

Artuin :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. luxie

luxie Embryo

RE: Awwww

It's sad that we can't have exotics here but the truth of the matter is that there are some irresponsible people around. Cornsnakes have already been found living in the wild in parts of Australia due to people dumping there unwanted and illegal pets in the wild. On the upside, we are lucky enough in Australia to home to some of the most beautiful, amazing and sought after wildlife in the world, many which can be held on license. The reason that our government do want to legalise the importation and keeping of exotic reptiles is because if irresponsibly released into the wild they can have devestating effects on our native wildlife (just as the cane toads already have).

Cheers,
    Luxie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Artuin

Artuin New Member

Oh well

Oh well, I might get like a carpet python, like one that grows to like 6-7 feet and is like common, or i might get a stimpson python.

Thanks

Artuin :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Doctor_Phil

Doctor_Phil New Member

RE: Oh well

There are damned good reasons for not keeping exotics here! Have you heard of the current outbreaks of OPMV? There have been a few collections completely wiped out by this disease for which there is no cure and guess what, it is not even an Aussie disease, it was brought in on ILLEGAL EXOTICS.