ball pythons-stress

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by lunacrab, Mar 5, 2004.

1. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

Can ball pythons be easily stressed? I had one about 8 years ago and he didn't do very well, wouldn't eat, and died after we had him for about three months. My roommate at the time had a few cats. Could that of contributed to his feeding problem. At the time didn't know anything about force feeding.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh yes, cats would definitely be seen as a predator in the snake's eyes, and it can (and will) put them off feeding..

But, ball pythons are notoriously bad feeders anyway. I know several people who've had ball pythons go over 12 months without touching food.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Embryo

Yeah I agree with Axe on this one. I have 4 ball pythons and the do go through times of bad feeding. Currently have one not eating.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

So if you have a baby that is not eating, how long do you wait before force feeding?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I'd take the snake to a vet after about 4-6 weeks, and I'd take it to a vet before I started force-feeding, just in case there are underlying problems.

If there are other problems, force feeding may sustain the snake, but it won't make the problems (parasites, for example) go away.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

Thanks, don't have one now, I was just curious.