Basking temps

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by cynicaleuphoria, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cynicaleuphoria

cynicaleuphoria Embryo

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but what exactly is the basking temperature for black roughneck monitors? I've heard anything from 90 degrees F to 130 degrees. So yeah.. just curious as to what others here do, I guess.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

try 130degress farenhite. that works great for monitors. usually people reccommend 120F to 150F, but i heard 130 works the best. i use that for my monitor and he is thriving

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. keenathon

keenathon Embryo

i have an argus about 14in, in a 50gal tank. i cant get the temp pass 85°. i have a 150w light and a heat pad underneath the tank. and its still only 85°. any suggestions would be appreciated

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

easiest way to do it is to build a wooden stack and place it under the spotlight. the higher you put the stack the hotter the temp on the wood and that allows you to adjust temps properly. look at the wood in this picture. the holes are so the monitor can easily crawl through them and go from one layer to the next [​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Gaara

Gaara Embryo

Well what kind of thermometer do you have? if you have one of those that stick to the glass that is only measuring the air around it and not the basking spot. If you have a sticky one go to Walmart and get an Accurite thermoter for 7-12 bucks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Albino_Hendrix

Albino_Hendrix Embryo

WHAT!

somethin about 150W in a 50gallon and its only 85 degrees just doesnt sound right. my adult savannah monitor is in a custom cage that is 6 feet long 3 feet deep and 3 feet tall and his basking spot is a big slap on concrete laying flat on the bottom of the cage and this slap of concrete is about 3feet by 1.5 feet and about 4 inches thick so i have two 150W's beamin down on that thing from 3 feet away and it gets is up to 108 degrees. so i dont get why your basking spot in a 50 gallon fish tank with a 150W is only 85 degrees. so yeah get a temp. gun..for owning a monitor a temp. gun in my opinion is pretty important.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

108F is a low basking temp. for proper digestion they need at least 120F

13. Albino_Hendrix

Albino_Hendrix Embryo

the slab on concrete its self tho gets alot hotter tho its like 130+ but the stick on the wall thermomiters next to the basking spot says 108 cuz his only says 80 somethin so thats wht i was talkin about

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

oh my bad then

15. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah i keep my monitors at about 125-130 and they are just fine

16. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

^ all around? or basking temp, they need a basking temp of 130 F to 155 F, maybe higher for large monitors (over 3 1/2') and on the other side of the encloser, and all other palces around 75-85 F