Bathing a Northern Pine Snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Athena, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Athena

Athena Embryo

Hi everyone!

The b/f and I recently picked up a Northern Pine Snake from a reputable shop/ petting zoo. She has to be one of the most docile snakes ever. She's about 4 feet long and approximately 2 years old. I'm just wondering as the b/f seems to think this could be done- would the snake enjoy slipping into the bath for a bit? Is there much harm that could arise from this? Would this be a ridiculous idea for such a snake? I'm a total newbie when it comes to snakes but I really want to try this out if it's ok? If it is possible, what should I watch for in terms of discomfort, what temp should the bath be? How deep? How long? etc??

I know this may seem like a foolish idea, but any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Weldon

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. improvius

improvius New Member

Using a bathtub is generally not recommended because of all the germs in the tub. Using a large tupperware container would be a much better option. But yes, all snakes can swim. Just make sure the water isn't too warm or too cold. Around 70-80 degrees would be about right. And put some rocks or something in so that the snake can easily rest with its head above water.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ratsnake

Ratsnake Embryo

Snakes don't need baths. Putting a snake in water against it's will only stresses it out. There are only two reasons to soak a snake. One is if it has had a bad shed. Two, is if the snake is dehydrated. Just keep a water dish in the cage that is big enough for the snake to soak in if it wants. Pine snakes don't enjoy high humidity, so I doubt it will soak unless it realy needs to keep cool.
    This idea of bathing snakes is nothing but internet missinformation.