battle won at Petco

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Blake_Herman, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

thank you everyone, the day I got this news (which like I said I've been working towards for about 10 months now), I was actually thinking about putting in my two weeks and getting out, but then I got the news and it's encouraged me to try to hang on a little longer... it is so stressful working somewhere like that when you really care because everyday you hear and have to put up with things that drive you crazy... and their rules are not very flexible... stikypaws, I managed to get shed boxes for the ball pythons and the red tail boas, but same as you I had to buy and set them up, but I'm glad they are okay with it...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iNs0mNiAc

iNs0mNiAc New Member

blake, a bit off subject, 1st off, congratz on beating petco, second i just read your long list of pets, do u live in a zoo lol, seriously, how much space do all of them take up in your house?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blake_Herman

well, we have two apartments, a 1 bedroom for myself and my fiance, and then a 2 bedroom for the reptiles (a lizard room, a snake room, and then a quarentine room that houses all of our mice and rat breeders as well)... they do take up a lot of space though... :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Pharo

Pharo Embryo

Great job! The beardies look happy, those pics are so much better then what the petco in my area looks like. It's sad how ignorant some people can be, they really need to do some research.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theend882

theend882 Member

i got banned from a petco for telling the manager that the setups were wrong.
    nice job

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Katt

Katt Moderator

snake_god, that Sory we're still growing sign is cause they are wya to small to be healthly sold. im sooo happy for you blake. great job!!

12. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

This is good news, I know we tried with our local PetCo after we saw two babies die of impaction within a week when they first opened by writting to the local district office and talking to the district manager. The store denied they had any die (which was not true as they pulled one dead one out while we stood there and the other one died the next day according to several other employees. It ended up the staff told them I was crazy and making things up... augh!

THey have a vet at thier location in California that wrote this terrible care sheets for them and it seems even if they are dying off on that care, PetCo continued to follow what this poor excuse for a vet advised. We actually checked on his background in Texas were he came from and was not impressed!

13. dna_splice

dna_splice Member

thats awesome man. way too look out for the beardies.

14. lestat

lestat Moderator

You're my hero!

15. JT71292

JT71292 Embryo

excellent,my friend

16. bandedgecko

bandedgecko Well-Known Member

I respect you for doing what you can to prevent more reptiles from
    risk of impaction. Dont the petstores lose money if an animal dies under
    their care. how can they afford not to stop them from dieing or do they
    get credit for each one? Pet stores set examples to customers and the
    customer trust them. How can any pet store owner have a store that
    refuses to care for the animals properly. Either they dont care or are
    just in it for the money. Its a viciuos cycle that makes not a bit of sense.
    We need more people like you to take the incentive and speak up to
    make a difference. Thanks for all youve done and dont stop saving
    lives of the innocent and helpless reptiles. Bless your kind heart...

17. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

I think they count on people wanting to rescue the sick animals from their stores and buying them to get them out.

18. CheriS

Rememer too, they buy these animals for a fraction of the cost that they sell them for. OFten only paying $5-$15 for what they are selling for $70. I know who the chain pet stores purchase many of them from and for what price. THose mill type breeders have little invested in the animals as they mass produce them and send them off to the central warehouse or stores shortly after hatching or under 2 weeks old.......... to young for many of them to survive, but its the bottom dollar that matters and if they lose half of them, they do not care

19. Blake_Herman

it's such crap when they say, "with Petco, animals always come first", it's all just to make people think that's true... when I bring something up, they act like I have no idea what I'm talking about, but then they also can't give me any reason why it wouldn't be good for them. Nor can they tell me why their way is better for them, and then they just leave before anything can get done. The only time I've ever gotten anything done was to bug the heck out of them about it and also get letters and things from our vet. Eventually they get tired of me complaining and that's when things happen...

CheriS, you are completely right, they get things so cheap and to them it doesn't make any difference losing a couple... and most customers that come in don't know what's going wrong, so it doesn't make a difference to their sales... their whole process sucks...

20. CheriS

21. Blake_Herman

thank you for posting that link, I wish more people would call in about it instead of just coming on here to complain... :wink:

nothing's going to change until either Petco and Petsmart go under new, "caring" management or until enough people call, complain, stop shopping there, etc...

22. CheriS

It's not just this site, its all the sites or list I am on and they all are complainging right now. This is also not new, I have emaisl from some of the Yahoo list and private ones going back to 2001 about them... same problems

23. lovemylizards

lovemylizards Member

blake is right though, there are SO many people that come on forums and just complain, if half that many people would call or write an email, that would make a huge difference... the biggest effect would come from people not shopping there anymore but we cant seem to get a big enough group that is committed enough to it...

24. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I have to say I don't agree. With most of the complaints I see posted here people are trying to take the extra step to get things changed or if they haven't yet they learn what route(s) to take and then try. Maybe I'm missing the majority of complaints.

25. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

The Petcos in my area are starting to post the name and contact info of vets that are supposedly looking after the animals at each store. Well let's just say that I would never go to any of the vets because the animals are still in horrid conditions.