BC. law Rumor

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by snakemaster1, Aug 2, 2008.

1. snakemaster1

snakemaster1 Embryo

Found this on another forum

I posted earlier about regs on hots (http://constrictors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20251) and just got off the phone with the fish and wildlife director for bc and have some bad news. As of spring of '09 there will be a bit of a ban on reptiles, they are planning to ban all lizards over 2 feet and all snakes over 3 meters (not actuall length but the length the species MAY obtain) Current owners will be aloud to keep there animals for the animals life but not aloud to breed or purchase more. The really disturbing fact that I learned from talking to him is what they consider some of the top lengths of species, retics as he put grow to 30+ feet so there defianatly going to be on, as well as burm that he say will grow to 25 feet, as well as BCI, which he has as growing to 15-18 feet. This will deifanatly be a sad day when this happens. for anyone wanting more info I hope it is ok to include this here:
    Chris Hamilton
    Manager, Wildlife Act and Regulatory Change
    Fish and Wildlife Branch
    Ministry of Environment
    PO Box 9398 Stn Prov Gov
    Victoria, BC V8W 9M9
    Phone 250.356.0830
    Cel 250.213.9032
    chris.hamilton@.gov.bc.ca
    www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlifeactreview/
    Boy it is going to be real nice when they make it so we can't keep anything at all . The government has officially gone crazy they are going to use non-scientific data and rumor to determine sizes of animals and according to this anything over the size of a Basilisk will be illegal.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. innerdemons666

innerdemons666 New Member

Thanks for sharing :)
    Dont worry,Its actually good,as here in Florida,ever year people are STRANGLED or DEVOURED by their Burmese pythons,and in florida especially,theres a really big problem with ignorant people releasing exotic animals into the everglades,because their snake has grown too big.
    The pythons kill native species and are wrecking the ecosystem.

Don't get me started with the green iguanas on the loose over here....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

And the only reason you have issues with green iguanas loose, is because people think they look oh so cute when they are about a foot long. They impulse buy and don't research how big this reptile is actually getting. They then are irresponsible and decide to let a domesticated animal loose. Imagine what that feels like, I definitely wouldn't trust another human after that. Which is why when every person that comes on this board wants an iguana, I'm not exactly pushing ohhh yeahh go get one! I love my iguana, but unfortunately not everyone has that same compassion.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. snakemaster1

snakemaster1 Embryo

Well Alexandra i don't know who you have been listening to but as far as anyone been killed or strangled or devoured by their burmese python Not to likely the human species is just not part of the menu.I understand that you are real young but you need to check out the true facts . there has been only 4 people killed by large constrictors in all of north america in the last 30 plus years. and those were a long time ago by wild caught animals. The point here is that soon you will not be able to keep or breed your animals in my province.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. innerdemons666

Tiny Hendrix,I have no issues with iguanas themselves.I have problems with people releasing iguanas.There are a bunch of Burmese Pythons on the loose in the everglades over here,and they're killing endangered species.
    I wish people would be more responsible.
    Snakemaster,It looks like your the one who should get his facts straight.I KNOW people aren't part of the burmese python diet,I'm just saying that people should keep their facts straight.
    God,everyone is argumentative,i can't say something without people arguing.I dont mind being corrected,but you guys do it in a really irritating way. I should quit this site,good bye,nice knowing you

http://www.anapsid.org/nyburm.html

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/Fish/southflorida...newild2004.html

http://home.att.net/~crinaustin/Snake1.htm

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. innerdemons666

Oh,and i was talking to snake master.'

Tiny hendrix had a good point