Bearded Dragon Egg Incubator Humidity Issue

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by TristenE, Jan 13, 2014.

1. TristenE

TristenE New Member

My beardie Athena layed her second clutch on the 10th, and i planned to build an incubator for her clutch. The incubator consists of a styrofoam cooler. There is an aquarium heater rod in the bottom, suctioned cupped to a glass plate on the bottom to hold it down. Water fills the bottom just enough to completely cover the heater (as the heater's directions instructed). I used a metal tray big enough to sit above the water to hold the egg tub. For the egg tub I used a plastic shoebox filled almost halfway with perlite (I poured hot water, let it sit, then drained it). The eggs sat in the indentions i made in the perlite. The lid is on both the egg container and the styrofoam and I have a thermo/hygrometer probe leading right into the center of the egg tub.

As far as numbers go, I've been able to keep the temperature in a safe range between 83-86 degrees fahrenheit. As far as the humidity goes, I've been having trouble. Its been getting up to 90% and I'm not sure how to lower it. Whenever I remove either lid, the temperature drops too much, and I don't have any other ideas. I'd really appreciate any experience/advice/ideas!

Note: The eggs all still look healthy, but i don't want to risk drowning them. Thanks!

2. NivkyPie

NivkyPie Embryo

I'm having the same issue (breeding collared Lizards)
    I've been told the container needs more air holes.