Bearded dragon for sale

Discussion in 'Reptile Classifieds' started by Bullet Barella, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Bullet Barella

Bullet Barella New Member

I am male bearded dragon and i know how hard it is to find a bearded dragon for me, so males or females up for adoption or sale please post to help others like me out if you can include pictures as well. Also please if you have a mate for me please leave any form of contact and what you are asking for in your post. I am only about a year old so don't try to get me hooked up with a lady to old or young for me.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bullet Barella

Thanks for the complament. I try to keep him all dolled up :) . The thing is mine is to spoiled to where he has a tank to big for him and its making him lonely. Thanks for the help though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Keep in mind, that while a tank may be large enough for two dragons, they will need to be separated for the vast majoirty of the time if you intend to breed, as the male will overbreed the female. They should only be allowed together temporarily for copulation then separated.

I also saw that you asked about males and females up for sale - not sure if your intention was to simply add another male to the collection, but two males can never live in the same enclosure or you will have fighting. Two males will become territorial, the dominant male can cause physical and psychologcal damage by stress that can literally kill the other by bullying in a short period of time.

Bearded dragons have social behaviors to develop a heirarchy in nature, but they do not crave nor require the company of others. Unlike nature, a dragon has no place to go to avoid stress and physical harm by a cagement inside of an enclosure. The only pairings that sometimes work are two similar sizes females (requiring at least 8 square feet of floorspace), and even then you can run into problems were separation will be required.

Fair warning also, that if you do breed (a male and female placed together will breed), you must be prepared to care for and find homes for many babies... they have large clutches and 20+ offspring are not out of the ordinary. UVB lighting, caging, feeding, etc for each baby is incredibly expensive, and unless you are breeding high-end morphs they are very difficult to sell.

I apologize if these are all things you know and are prepared for, but being your first time posting here I feel it is always best to cover the bases. Many keepers feel inclined to breed or provide their beardie with a "friend", and are not prepared with another enclosure when fighting and stress ensues. Furthermore, we generally always recommend against breeding bearded dragons; they are one of the most time consuming and costly reptiles to breed... Unless you are prepared to dedicate a lot of time and resources to housing them, providing lighting, and feeding thousands of insects a day (literally) then do not breed the animal.

mark macy and Cherin like this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cherin

Cherin New Member

Honestly I've even thought about breeding but I don't have the time or money to do so nor the location haha! if I was rich and a stay at home mom sure :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

I would also go against breeding a female of any reptile. First off, you dont want an egg bound female, do you? This is one of the many complications to breeding females. And some times, the female will actually attack the male if she does not accept him (I have personally seen this behavior). They dont even need to be old enough to mate for the female to attack him. Furthermore, breeding can shorten the lifespan of your female even if it goes off without a hitch. I would personally reccomend to not breed unless you are fully aware of the consequences.

12. Bullet Barella

I am aware they need to be seperated right now my one bearded dragon is spoinled with 100 gal and a 40 gal. Shorting the females life span is hard but i know that i could deal with that if need be as long as its lived longer than a year. I posted male and female due to knowing how hard it is to find one for myself and knowing others like me are out there. I know not to mix males and i know everything else due to working at pet co. Would buy one from there but they dont recive females due to wanting to bread them and if they did get a female it would be to small.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Could you elaborate on this thought please?

I generally do not butt in on classified ads as you are entitled to do whatever you please with your ad; my first post was prompted by red flags about keeping two animals together, and trying to save you some headache in the future in case complications occur (one of the biggest beardie-related problems I've seen on forums over the last decade involve cagemates due to poor information circulating on the web).

Now, I'm not sure how to interpret your quote above... but it seems that you are suggesting that as long as a female has lived longer than a year you don't really mind if it passes, which I find incredibly concerning. Keep in mind, female bearded dragons should not even be bred unless they are at least 18 months of age, and beardie's life expectancy with proper care can exceed 10 years. Again - I may be interpreting your sentence wrong...

In addition, please do not ake this the wrong way, but I think it would be worthwhile to look into our care database and thoroughly research bearded dragon breeding before picking up the additional animal. The care information provided by most pet stores (particularly large chains) is generally inadequate for long-term care or providing for the animal so that it can reach its full expectancy. We frequently see malnutrition, MBD, impactions, and other disorders here that arise from poor information by pet stores.
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?categoryid=17

Specifically, a brief breeding article: http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?categoryid=17&p142_id=110&p142_dis=3&p142_template=Simple

The only reason I am pushing this is bearded dragons are probably the single worst species of reptile to breed; I'm not just saying that. The mass quanity of offpsring they produce, coupled with expensive lighting, housing, time, and food demands comes as a surprise to most keepers. A single baby should be eating 50+ insects every single day spread across several feedings -> 20+ babies per clutch plus care for adults equates to a lot of work and expense...and it never results in profit unless you have high end morphs. Baby dragons are painfully hard to sell, and in the 2 months they must be raised before selling a normal will have exhausted its worth as a sale. They are also very saturated in the market...

I'm not necessarily discouraging you, simply preparing you. You are entitled to do whatever you please: I've been here a long time and seen too many people jump into breeding without thorough research and preparation to get in over their head rapidly. A better recommendation would be to use these resources that would be put into breeding efforts to set up rescuing unwanted beardies. There are a lot of unwanted dragons out there that could really use a second chance.

14. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

please please tell me that jeff and i both read that sentance wrong

15. Karlee

Karlee Member

Oh and one more thing, you need to be prepared to keep any dragons you cant sell. That can mean all of them, with beardies being very expensive, that will cost you some pretty pennies no matter how many corners you cut. You will also need to be sure all of your dragons are tamed, as if they are not, no one will buy unless its a morph. You would also need to pay for vet bills and food, and it just doesnt come cheap.

16. Bullet Barella

I think you all took what i said wrong. Ots hard to explain but its like our lives everyday we live its shortened someway somehow i want animals to be happy and experience things like they would in the wild. There isnt someone making the females and males stay apart saying they cant breed, there for why does a domestic one have to be told that. I realize its expensive and i might be getting in over my head but as long as my bearded dragon(s) are happy i will sell everything i have to make them live as long as they feel like living and as happy as can be. Working at a pet store things that are outragously expensive i get discounted and its not so expensive. hints why mine has a 100 gal tank and a 40 gal tank all the food he could ever want plus tons of "toys". I am not one to be selfish with seems like how everyone took that sentence. Just its very hard to explain my thoughts so everyone understands it and takes it the right way.

Cherin likes this.