Bearded Dragon vs. Water Dragon??

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Wayfarer, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer New Member

Hello im looking to get a Lizzard and i have narrowed it down to Beardi and water dragon. What i need to know is of the 2 which is better for handling/showing off, Which is harder to take care of, Which is more friendly, and anything else you think i should know about eaither Lizzard

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. trickedcomps

trickedcomps New Member

well the beardi is the calmest, but in reality, no reptiles really enjoy being handled. It comes down to a matter of if they will bear it and be still and friendly, or if they will try like its the end of the world to get out of your hand/bite/whip you. Water dragons can be aggressive, as with the tail whipping, we have had a few cases in my store where people talked about that, but not like iguanas. To awnser your question, the beardi would be your best bet, as they are really docile and just plain friendly.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Don't you already have this posted in the Bearded Dragon forum? I't snot really a good idea to double post, it just kinda pisses poeple off lol...just an fyi & all...

I can say from experiance (owning 4 bd's & 2 wd's) that I have never even been flinched at by any of them (except my crazy leo, Rouge, who hates EVERYONE!!! lol). they're all cool, all my guys LOVE coming out...but they're totally different. Water dragons require some REALLY specialized care (not to say that beardeds don't) and they CAN be feisty...I'd say if this is your first, go with the bearded, but PLEASE do alot alot alot ( did I say alot) of research prio to getting any kind of reptile...

~Michelle

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Wayfarer

Wayfarer New Member

Oops sorry shortygirl this post is in beared dragon forum also i just wanted to get the water dragon peoples point of view as well as the beared dragon peoples point of view. very sorry if i pissed any1 off.

No worries about research i do plenty b4 geting any pet but i do never stop learning and if i have any questions i will for sure post back here because i can tell you all know what u r talking about.

Thanks for helping me make my pick i will post pics of my bearded dragon and setup once i get him/her ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

for me its water dragons they just look so cool but beardies are alot easier

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xTBx

xTBx New Member

My beardie hates me, with a bloody passion. Beardies tend to eat a lot especially when they're young, when they're adults it's not so bad. But beardies are a lot easier to clean up after. Water dragons like to poop in their water dish(es) a lot, so you'll constantly be cleaning those out. Humidity can be really hard to keep up, which really depends on your house.

In any case, have fun with your beardie. Take good care of it, and have fun.

12. JBCT

JBCT New Member

Your beardie hates you? LOL!

Thats unusual. At least Im not alone. My male beardie is plotting my death. I saw blueprints of a car bomb in his hide box.

Does your beardie throw the beard out and head bob like a madman when you get nerve the cage? Just curious.

Mine wont actually bite but you should see the show he puts on. Could win an Oscar.

13. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

xTBx & JBCT - are your's juvies? They could be going through puberty - mine, fortunately, only gets pissy when i try to give him a bath - I get the "LOOK", the puff & hiss attitude - but other than that, mine are all dolls.

~Michelle

14. sdellin

sdellin New Member

Beardies are easier in the sense that they are a desert lizard, so they don't require a pool or humidity, just an occasional warm water soak. Water dragons require higher humidity, a pool with heater, a taller tank for climbing and seem to tend towards snout-rubbing more. This is from my experience, I'm no expert. I have two water dragons and my sister has a beardie. I had to build a six-foot tall cage, which is about as short as you want to go, but my sister has a four or five foot long arcrylic aquarium that is about two feet high and deep and her dragon is pretty happy. She used slate to build a cave and some climbing areas, but they don't climb as much. As for me, I had to go collect birch branchs (NOT PINE!) and wash them, etc. to get the bugs out. I had to get vines and she just got rocks and sand! It was much easier for her. Well... probably because I did most of the work for her as well as my own, but that's another story.

My opinion though.... I would not trade one of my water dragons for a beardie... but I tend to love the constant work involved in taking care of these guys and making adjustments to the tanks, etc. I'm a project kind of person.

However, I love her beardie! They are so cute and sweet as well. Whatever you get, handle it from the beginning, but always gently.

15. SpindleHead

SpindleHead New Member

I have owned both, a pair of adult WD and right now an adult BD. In my opinion Beardies are easier to set up and maintain than a WD. Wd's require a large pool, very large enlcosure and high humidity. Also mine tended to be more aggressive and objected to being handled often. My beardie on the other hand requires a 55-75 gal. enclosure (height is not important), many members do not provide water dishes, relatively low humidity and are much easier to handle.

With that said both are wonderful, fascinating pets and both will bring many years of joy. Hope this helps.

Chris

16. JessicaE

JessicaE New Member

beardeds are way easier to maintain.
    i own both.
    but i learned the hard way that bearded & water do not mix...
    i forgot to shield my bearded from my water dragon
    not pretty when they fight

anyways,
    water dragons need an enclosure at least six feet long.
    now if you can accomodate that... then sure go for the water dragon
    but you have to clean their pool daily and mist them daily to maintain humidity.

17. xTBx

xTBx New Member

Wow, i should learn how to follow up on my posts...My beardie isn't quite a juvie he's a little older then that, he doesn't bob his head he just hisses and glares...but he likes his baths they're a rare treat...

18. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

oh, i can do anything i wan't to my beardie (not like i will do anything to hurt him) and he would still love me. THe only time he is ever calm is when i hold him, or when i am near his cage!