Beardie Babysitting

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by geckolover22, Jul 1, 2013.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

So for the next few months I'm babysitting my friend's bearded dragon :) I think its a female. She use to be my dragon and now I have her back for a little bit :D almost two years old now and 14 inches long. Was a little skinny and dehydrated when I took her in again. Eating all the dubia and collard greens she wants now every day :) at the moment she's in a 35x17x14 tank which would be 36 gallon(?) That too small for her? As I read minimum is 40 gallon correct? I do have a bigger aquarium type tank but I would need to lay in on the side and make a lid for it. Its about 43 gallons. I was also wanting to maybe get one for myself again my dad realizes they don't get overly huge so I'd get all the things ready again :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The floorspace is okay for a single dragon. You can certainly keep her in there as the 43 gallon probably only adds a little height. I would say a 3ft x 1.5ft enclosure like the one you have is the bare minimum for an adult dragon.

Ideally, you want 6sq feet of floorspace for a single beardie, which equates to a 65 or 75 gallon aquarium. I would highly recommend a 4ft x 1.5ft (48" x 18") floorspace enclosure. Some people recommend 55 gallons which are 4ft long and only 1ft wide, which can make turning around in the enclosure for large individuals annoying.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply! I hate knowing that a new dragon would have a bare minimum tank with me /: don't have the space at the moment for anything larger. Probably put it off until I can have the proper necessities for him/her and stick with my snakes mostly.