Beardie keeps itching his eye. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Dee0510, May 1, 2013.

1. Dee0510

Dee0510 Embryo

We just got a baby beardi and he was fine when we brought him home a week ago. He's still healthy and eating well, very active. The only worry we have is that he keeps itching his right eye. First time he did it, he stayed closed for 2 days but it wasn't swollen and there didn't appear to be a cut. Now he's doing it again. I don't see any mites but in my experience you don't know until they're infested. Currently I'm off of work because I'm ill so until I go back to work and get a pay check I won't be able to take him to the vet. In addition I'm not sure if it's serious enough to take him. Ideas? opinions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

What kind of substrate are you using, and has the beardie shed on his face lately?

Most likely he simply got some kind of debris in his eye that is irritating it. You can flush the eye with sterile eye flushing solution. (The kind that is made for turtles by ZooMed or the ones made for dogs and cat with no medication are fine. Even sterile saline contact solution will work as long as it has no additives.) As long as there is no discolored discharge from the eye, a vet visit should not be necessary. However, if you do notice a green or yellow goop of any kind, this is indicative of an infection and will need to be treated accordingly.