Before and After Tank Pictures (Leopard Gecko)

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Fiche, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Well, I've been asking a number of questions lately about building my own tanks for my current and perhaps future reptiles. A number of things came up that meant I simply didn't have the time to put into building (a) top notch enclosure(s). I got lucky though and found someone selling a used 90G tank with a 2X4 frame stand for a fairly decent price. I wanted to post some before and after shots to get some critiques and to hopefully give people some ideas to make fish tanks into more reptile friendly homes. :lol:

All I have now are the "Before" shots, but here ya go...

http://brokenroad.net/fiche/Spikey/RR%20RS/DSCF1205.jpg

http://brokenroad.net/fiche/Spikey/RR%20RS/DSCF1204.jpg

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Looks promising Fiche! can't wait to see what you do with it ;) That is going to be one happy Spikey!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks jayhay, I can't wait to see what I do with it too,lol. So far the tank has been thouroughly wiped down with water, vinegar, and windex (outside only, of course!), and now I'm letting it air out. We'll be getting the UTH for it this weekend (I hope), so as soon as that happens I can wipe off the new tiles and rinse all the cage decorations one last time before setting them up. If we have some extra change in the budget I'm hoping to get a new humid hide or some type of fake plant to cover the current one, I guess we'll wait and see about that one. I'll be sure to put in some "After" shots when it's all done.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Sweet! Thats gunna look awesome! How are you getting along with it? It looks a lot like my monstrosity of a 75g tank i have in my living room... lol. Is Spikey going to be the only leo in there?! Its going to be huge! lol.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks Stiky, and it is a bit of a monstrosity, lol. I've cleaned and aired out the tank, tiles, and all the cage decorations that I have at the moment. I'm just waiting until we get some time this week that we can get to the store and buy a new UTH and hopefully a background. Then I can add all the decorations, test the temperatures and add Spikey. :) Yes, she will be the only one in there. I felt so bad because her 10 gallon just wasn't cutting it, and my bf decided we should spoil her. I won't argue with that. :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Holy huge batman, that thing's a monster! Spikey is one happy leo...everyone elses leo is going to jealous!! Can't wait to see the "after" shots.

~Michelle

12. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Lol, yeah shortygirl it is pretty huge. I think it will look great in our living room though. It will bring a bit more life to the room. I hope that she will like the new space and all her new places to hide and explore. I'm putting a lot of work into it, so she better! ;) My boyfriend's mom saw the tank last night and was so excited, she looked pretty bummed when we told her it wasn't ready for Spikey to be in it yet (she was trying to find her in there). She won't even touch Spikey, but we're working on getting her more comfortable with the idea. :)

13. LeoLady

LeoLady Member

Spikey should be very happy in there. That's one lucky leo! I definately want to see pics when you're finished. Is that a fish tank? That is huge!

14. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

It is a fish tank. Apparently it was a custom built for the guy I bought it from. You can tell because they did a pretty crummy job with the silicone. I had one heck of a time cleaning it all off and making it not smell like fish. Ick! I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as things are in place.

15. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Well, it turns out that our pet stores didn't have what I wanted so I have had to delay the whole process while I wait for a few things to ship. :? Hopefully I'll get things by the end of this week instead.

16. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

So it's been a while since I last updated but I wanted to let you all know that things are finally moving along on Spikey's tank. I was going to hold off and show the finalized enclosure, but I'm pretty proud of the progress that was made today, so I'm just going to show the pictures of it in its current state (which is not quite done). Enjoy!

hot side
    [​IMG]

cool side
    [​IMG]

whole thing
    [​IMG]

It looks a little bare now, but I'll be picking up some more decorations/hides in the coming weeks. That's just all I have for now. I'm also working on making my own custom background, so that will hopefully be done soon.

I've been working on the outside of the tank too. I built a screen lid for it, since the tank has some custom dimensions. I also decided to get to work on the stand for the tank. I included some pictures of the rennovation. :p I'm working on some doors too, but they aren't picture worthy at the moment.

I made some panels for the sides,
    [​IMG]

installed some wire bottoms to make shelves,
    [​IMG]

one side is complete with custom toliet paper roll for those little accidents. :D
    [​IMG]

Right now the shelves in the bottom will be storage for Spikey's scale, red bulb, food, gutload, etc. Wait though, just when you thought the fun was over... the storage sections could easily closed off and converted to house either another leo, or I could split it up into two 24" cubes and have a pair of cresties. :lol:

17. paulnj

paulnj Member

Your links are dead.

18. hunders

hunders New Member

Yup, dead links. It just says 'Image' where the picture is supposed to be.

19. paulnj

paulnj Member

I went to your image site and found no images on that server from jan/feb 07 in the spikey folder. Possibly they were deleted or never uploaded correctly.

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks guys, those pictures should be fixed now.

21. paulnj

paulnj Member

looking good!

22. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow! IT looks awesome, i like the toilet paper roll underneith, lol. She's going to enjoy!!!!

23. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Nice job Fiche, Spikey's gonna feel like a Queen. Can't wait til we can see it all done up!

~Michelle

24. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

That thing is huge!!!! What a lucky leo! Watch out, with a hang out like that, Spikey is gonna start inviting all of her leo friends over to show it off. Those late night-leo parties can get pretty out of control :)

25. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll make sure to update it when different things get put in there. As for her throwing late-night leo parties.. well, maybe I'll get lucky and one of her friends will need a place to stay. :)