beginner monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by masterbreed, Jul 20, 2006.

1. masterbreed

masterbreed New Member

what is a good smaller beginner monitor?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

A red or yellow ackie is a small begginer monitor. But some say it depends because getting a monitor you like is better than getting and suggested begginer monitor. But ackies are fun they get to be around 2-3ft yellows stay around 2ft being they are the smaller versions of reds.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. masterbreed

masterbreed New Member

can you pair them and and what size enclosure should they have from adolescence to adult?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Yea, you can keep them in trios but most people dont because of oversexing which can lead to major injury or death. It also causes a lot of stress. They don't need that big of an enclosure. Red ackies will need a minimum of a 4x2x2. Most people just put them in 6x3x3 or 8x3x3 which is the ideal. Figure another 1.5ft added on for every monitor. So two ackeis would need an 8 foot enclosure which would be nice for them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr~python

mr~python Member

wow.

yellows are NOT "the smaller versions of reds". reds are more prone to bite, less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, and have a beautiful brick red, vivid pattern with yellows looking more dull. reds are also generally a little larger but both rarely get a whole 3 feet long.

4x2x2 is perfect for 1 to 3 ackies. you do NOT need an 8 foot cage for 2 ackies, ROFL!!!!

now let me ask you this Feirce. do you own an ackie or are you just reading this off a wbsite caresheet? ROFLOL!!!!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Actually do you think your taking care very well? yellos are smaller versions of a red ackie. No matter how you phrase it red is larger than yellow it doesn't matter. And 4x2x2 for three full grown ackies? lets see with a foot of dirt and soil that just leaves 1ft left for crawl space. Then being cramped with hides big enough for the full grown monitor and enough room to be out and crawling around. Yea maybe a 4x2x2 enclosure would be big enough for one but two would be pushing it. And monitor behavior can depend. Also there have been reports of ackies being around 3 feet. And I ask you this does a vet own every animal it treats? or does a vet learn from reading and being taught? unlike you going around saying how people should shut the hell up and not correcting them.

12. mr~python

mr~python Member

see, you dont own an ackie so you dont know what you're talking about. you would make a couple Retes stacks and that would be the best way to provide optimum basking and hiding places without having to put individual hides which really wouldnt do anything for temperature gradient.

i dont care if your a vet. if you dont care for an ackie then you shouldnt be giving out husbandry advice.

13. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Wait a minute. So if your ackie all of a sudden developed a tumer. You woudln't trust a vet to help take care of it so it can heal? honestly your theorys are horrible. Honestly if someone has a monitor but not an ackie but still has advice it isn't good because he doesn't own an ackie. By doing this your preventing some good information to reach a person and substituting your advice correct or not.

14. mr~python

mr~python Member

LOL, you are so wrong. medical care and husbandry is TOTALLY different.

im not substituting my own information, im giving the correct information and correcting someone who THINKS THEY KNWO WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT BUT DOESNT.

15. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Not really because have good husbandry requires medical care. and dude stop trying to outpost everyone seriously your so irritating. And having three ackies in a 4x2x2 enclosure? if an ackie is 2ft long then thats six feet so now they have to be next to each other forcing territorial conflict. So none the less adding water bowl some big enough hides that can fit those ackies and having enough for them all now that is going to be a bit cramped. Use common sense and think before you speak.

16. mr~python

mr~python Member

im honestly getting tired of you ignorance. im just gonna stop responding. a 4x2x2 enclosure is good for 3 ackies but you can make it larger. i never saif you couldnt.

i explained to you about retes stacks and you still think you know what your talking about.

medical care and husbandry ARE different. medical ailments with ackies such as a tumor or a broken bone are treated like any other lizard, BUT ackie care and any other lizard care is totally different because they have totally different requirements.

see, a vet can be experienced with medical ailments in reptiles but when it comes to hisbandry he could know jack squat.

17. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Ok think about it. A retes stack has to be big enough to hid the ackie and so that it feels safe. Now you have three so you need multiple hides. Definatly not fitting in a 4x2x2 comfortably. And what if your animal needs surgery somebody has to take care of it while its in the hospital recovering. Your tired by ignorance? everyone is tired of your ignorance and how stuck up you are.

18. mr~python

mr~python Member

do you know what a retes stack is? probably not. let me explain. a retes stack id desigened to have layers of tight fitting cevices with a thermogradient making more then 3 hiding spots per stack. let me show you a picture.

whos's everyone? you?

MY ackie that i OWN on top of his retes stack while basking. this was a few days after i got him.
    [​IMG]
    now, ive had and took care of that ackie since may 23 and since may 23 he's grown 4 inches and has more than trippled in weight. dont tell me i dont know what im doing.

19. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Notice your crickets are under the retes stack and yes i do know what it is because i have seen them used at proexotics and they had a tutorial on how to build them. And look how big that thing is just for one ackie. Can you imaging what it woul be like to build it for say three ackies.

20. mr~python

mr~python Member

LOL, that cricket is under the board because my ackie is on top of it. although i have seen them bask by my ackie before.

the stack looks big because my ackie was so small at the time of that picture. he's grown 4 inches and has more then tripled in weight and still uses that exact same stack.

21. masterbreed

masterbreed New Member

well thanks for the advice do you know how much on average do red ackies cost and how much yellow ones cost?

22. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Reds cost 300+ us dollars but im not so sure about yellows. I think yellows you can get for 250+.

23. mr~python

mr~python Member

yellows go for 150-250 and reds go for 250-350. i got my red for $230 shipped from Frank Retes though.

24. trogdortheburninator

trogdortheburninator Embryo

seriously, you guys sound like a bunch of little kids....he asked a simple question, and you two turn it into a heated debate. YES, a 4x2x2 can house a trio. Is it the best choice? thats up to you. I personally wouldnt, but it can be done, and it is completely healthy for the ackies. Mr. python is correct on the prices. you can get a yellow for 150-250, sometimes cheaper if you look around. and reds go for anywhere between 250-350. Masterbreed, if you are looking for one, check frank retes (like mr python did) as he is a well known and respected breeder. now, quit bickering like a bunch of 10 year olds.

nick

25. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

well said trogdor, well said. :D