Beginners snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by deydey, Apr 16, 2008.

1. deydey

deydey Member

Begginers snake

What are the best "Begginer Snakes" I've seen a REALLY nice Tangerine Honduran Milksnake and was thinking of getting one but not sure yet as I heard milks aren't very active etc. I'm really into reptiles especially lizards atm I currently own 3 chameleons + 2 pygmy eggs and 2 leopard geckos. So any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

RE: Begginers snake

Not many snakes are "really active". Milks can be a little skittish but they are not aggressive. I think Milk's make great starter snakes, they stay a manageable size, have simple care requirements and I do not know of anyone being tagged by one. I feel that Milks are easier to take care of than gecko's and definiteley easier than Chams.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

RE: Begginers snake

I have personally never owned a milk snake, but I have always had good experiences with them and hope to get one soon. If you are looking for other cool morphs I would also suggesst a corn snake, there are so many varieties and their temperament is awesome.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

I would say ball pythons but they can be tricky eaters sometimes and can quickly overwhelm the caretaker with that, so I'm going to say a corn or milk snake. Get some sort of colubrid at first, at least thats what I would do.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

it is really hard to beat a corn snake for a beginner snake. They will pretty much eat anything at anytime.. are fairly active, they dont grow too big and they come in a lot of colors.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MimC

MimC Moderator

Corn snakes are my number one choice for beginers snake...they come in a variety of colors, are easy to hand tame, easy to care for and are great eaters. www.cornsnake.net is an excellent source for corn snakes and information.