best uro for someone new to them?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Shanna66, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

and what would be the best sized enclosure for it? not getting one anytime soon, just wanted to look into them as maybe a future reptile. they look pretty cute and i saw one at the aquarium yesterday and i got to pet it and just fell in love with how soft it felt

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Shanna,
    Any uro is good but would advise against the egyptians, they can grow very big, up to 2.5 or even 3ft.
    Minimum size of enclosure needs to be 48x24x24, even for a young one.
    You are looking at high basking temps as well, 130-140f as well as high UVB. Hence the large enclosure to get the correct gradients.
    Generally speaking uro's are a "to be looked at" lizard rather than handled.
    Some uro's will tolerate handling others wont.
    It's the same old story about shops, the conditions they are kept in are no where near perfect, they will sit on your hand and appear happy etc, this is not the case, generally, they are really either sick or cold etc due to poor husbandry. I would avoid any shop bought one and go direct to a breeder.
    They are beautiful creatures, the colors are really nice as well.
    If you are prepared to spent a lot of bucks on setup etc and dont mind just looking, then go for it.
    If you want a "cuddly" human friendly lizard, then the beardie takes the top slot.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

dont have the money for one yet, or even to set up a place for it.
    and i really dont care if it can be handled alot. if i need to handle a lizard ive got some of my leos for that. ive kind of been wanting a look but dont touch reptile recently as i really dont handle my leos too much anymore besides health cheack, photoshoots, and showing them off to kids down the street. so all in all about once or twice a month at most