biggun

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by whistler, Jan 3, 2004.

1. whistler

whistler New Member

Any news on this big reticulated python yet??All sounds a bit far fetched,yes??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I think so, it does sound rather strange, especially when you consider it's supposed to be a male (who naturally grow smaller than females)...

And besides, if this is a male, and it's real, who cares? There's bound to be a big sister out there somewhere... I want her! lol :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

All the pics I've seen have been odd. They never show a shot of the snake in full length, just from the frontand down the back and there is always someone in the pic hiding the back end. Very strange. Who knows?!?! Why didn't they just leave it alone if it is real? Why rip it from the wild, it was obviously doing just fine on it's own if it really is that big!?!?!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, apparently it was living with a tribe for a while, who revered it as some religious icon (apparently), and it took a lot of doing for the zoo to get ahold of it, but it was already in captivity with this tribe beforehand..

Why not leave it alone? Because you know if certain other people found it, it'd be made into wallets in no time.

I can understand their reasons for wanting to take it from the wild and protect it (sure, there's a commercial aspect too), but I can also understand the reasons for wanting to just leave it where it is.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. whistler

whistler New Member

Axe, not sure i'd b after his big sister,not really the sort of chick i like! prefer blondes, buch each to his own John. lol

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

lol... I love big snakes, but I'd never keep one... I know one day I'd slip up, and it'd probably kill me, hehe. Same reason I'd never keep hots, but I'll happily go round to my friend Jeremy's and play with his occasionally :)

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I was always hoping but I figured it was probably all nonsense.

The "49ft record breaking retic" has proven to be nearer to 21ft long, and nowhere near the 1,000lbs originally claimed.

The Guardian Newspaper sent somebody along with a tape measure to go check it out in person.

Here's the news post, along with a link to the article

13. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

That doesn't surprise me...the pics of it were highly suspect. Wonder if that whole reel about it living with a "tribe" was nonsense?!?!

14. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

hehe quite possibly, however I still like the theory that the real monster is still with the tribe being taken good care of and they just palmed the zoo off with another large (but not record breaking) snake, lol.

15. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

I liked that part of the article too (hehehe)