Biten tail off

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Keeper_of_Lizards, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kephy

kephy Moderator

:D

I find myself wanting to say something, then you've already said it, and it saves me the trouble! It's always good to have more than one person agreeing on things, shows that we aren't just blowing smoke. :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kipod

kipod New Member

your answers are much more thorough than mine ... and you've given me tons of good advice that I pass on to others. on any good point, concurrence of many shows it is sound advice, disagreement generates an opportunity to gain more knowledge. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

Exactly.

And it's nice to have a break from making those long posts all the time! :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Keeper_of_Lizards

Keeper_of_Lizards New Member

if i wanted an adult i would of gotten an adult. Taking care of all my pets keeps me out of trouble. and who ever said it's easy putting those self liners in lie. too small too big can't stand the heat too waxie blah i'm picky they are desert animals the run on sand i saw no difference still don't but it's changed but now they wont touch the flooring.....well the L. Gecko doesn't care much he sleeps too much. i have spent the whole dayfixing up cages and remodeling. u guys happy now? the babes are safe......no thats a lie i can't seperate Celestrial or Silverspike yet the extra chage is filled with over 300 crickets. i hope he will hold off on doing anything else to her till i can find people that need crickets. i had handed over around 100 to my friend and i have another 100 in a smaller tank but i still don't know what to do with the rest without having to spend any more money

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

Geez, you're welcome. :roll:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Keeper_of_Lizards

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm finding it hard to know when you are serious or not. Do you want us to continue offering advice, or would you rather we not so you can continue doing things like you want?

13. Keeper_of_Lizards

hey i did what u wanted they have shelf liner got it this morning. and i don't think i need any more advice because it's just being repeated over and over no offence but it makes ya wanna stop reading. i know i have to seperate them but i don't have the cage to do it yet.

14. kipod

kipod New Member

hmmmm...all this unnecessary hostility makes me want to concentrate in animal law and pass a law requiring prospective beardie [and other animal] owners to pass a maturity test before ownership.

okay, that probably wasn't nice -- and I've been trying really hard to be nice and giving a lot of credit where apparently none is due.[okay, not nice again].

Keeper -- don't do what "we want" -- do what you need to in order to raise your baby beardies properly, or they will suffer the consequences.

you haven't been here long enough to know how well informed and VERY NICE people are around here -- please respect that and people will respect you.

I'm one for cutting a lot of slack -- but even I am at my wits end about whether to even bother with trying to help.

15. Keeper_of_Lizards

my question was first would my baby's tail grow back. i had my answer long agoif i didn't care for my beloveds i wouldn't be HERE to begin with. I've had a short temper as of late because of sum fun i had with my boyfriend. what u read from that is all that i will tell, but seeing one of my beloveds hurt sent me into panic and i looked for hours for the answer an d then stumpled onto this place where i asked my question. i never asked advice on how to take care of them though. I'm sorry if you got that impression. i bet theres alot of very nice people but then again theres alot of very mean people and in meeting a few already has made my temper flare on anyone that i feel "attacks" the way i raise my beloveds. i know what they need i still don't get how this post turned into a debate on the habitat of them when i was only asking on Celestrial's tail and her fragile size.

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

No offense? Right. Well your attitude makes us want to stop helping.

I hope for your beardies sakes that sometime in the near future you find a desire to learn more and talk to fellow beardie lovers nicely and appreciate their help. You know, since one of your pets has already been seriously injured due to your inexperience with beardies and all...

Like kipod, I have really tried to remain nice and helpful with you when I was biting my tongue, but I won't continue to waste time trying to help someone who doesn't care.

Well, you needed it. You offered all your husbandry techniques for us to see, and there were many problems, so we told you about them.

Sorry if I am being rude now, but I wasn't until you showed how ungrateful you were for our time and experience. I tried very hard to gently explain to you why these things are the way they are, but obviously it didn't prevent you from showing how bitter and immature you are about constructive critisism. That kind of attitude just doesn't fly with me. Sorry.

17. kipod

kipod New Member

okay, slack is being cut. sorry about you and your bf.

the whole thread is probably my fault because you posted about your beardie's tail and said you bought at petsmart. I put those two together and my immediate reaction is, "new beardie owner who needs to know a few things asap that they probably don't know".

if petsmart and petco weren't so notorious for their mistreating beardies and giving bad advice, I would have left my response simply at "no, it won't grow back. separate the two immediately."

but I hope you take all the advice to heart and I'm sure you really do care about your beloveds and they will get the care they need and deserve. for what its worth, you can move them to "comfy" washed/sifted playsand when they are a little older [but not before they are at least 6 months old, if not a year].

18. kephy

kephy Moderator

I just have to question anyone who says "I already know everything I need to know for my dragons," when they were keeping a male and female together, feeding them spinach, and keeping them on calci-sand.

I mean, I've been studying these guys for over 3 years, spending almost an hour a day reading web sites and posts among breeders and keepers, and I still learn things I didn't know before. New things on reptile husbandry are learned everyday, no one should assume they know everything they need to know.

And as long as someone continues saying "dragons are made for sand" I will continue saying "look at their feet, look at their feet, look at their feet, look at their feet," sorry if I repeat myself, I don't enjoy saying the same things over and over either.

Sorry if I have a short temper now, but I don't appreciate being disrespected when I'm trying to help because I care.

19. kipod

kipod New Member

amanda, "practically" everyone here respects you and you deserve it. your responses are well informed and you are have yet to give anyone "bad" advice.
    while on my break from school, I too have spent nearly all day and night learning, reading about beardies and adjusting my husbandry habits based on what I learned.

I guess there is just always going to be those people who "know everything" [generally between the ages of 17-19, I remember...I was one of those once]. just like us humans, our beardies get "attitude" in their "teenage angst" period. what do we do? we tough it out, get tough, glove up, and take the bites.

so here's a big ((((((HUG))))))) and kudos for your efforts. 8)

20. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thanks.

I guess when I was 17 I knew everything too. :)

Then again, the anoles and tree frogs I tried to keep back then didn't last very long. :? :roll:

21. kipod

kipod New Member

hey, even in my 20's I wasn't all that great with my fire belly newt.
    poor guy, if only I had the sense to learn how to care for him properly. he really was cool [but not nearly cool as Caspi].

now that I have enough $ to spend upwards of $75-$400 on a pet [not really, but], I'm sure going to make sure I do EVERYTHING right. :wink:

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

So true. But we learn from our mistakes, and it makes us want to help others before they make the same mistakes we did, it's never fun to learn the hard way.

OMG I'm sounding like a mom. :)

23. lturbott

lturbott Member

ARGH! The thing is in the first place the whole tail thing which should not have happened in the first place if you had done some or any research on them. Everything I have read says it isn't a good practice to house them together. There will always be the dominance and submissive thing going on. One will thrive the other will not. I totally agree with Kephy on there ought to be a law where people have to prove their knowledge of an animal before they are allowed one.

We are having a major thing here at the local fair giving out iguanas as "prizes" to people who have no knowledge of the care or commitment these reptiles deserve. And no one seems to care. I am sick of people NOT caring! So, listen up and get a clue and do some research. My turn to vent here and it is just because of peoples ignorance. :evil: :evil:
    And yes I threw another subject in there.

24. kipod

kipod New Member

cannibalism doesn't stop with tail nipping...

I just saw this on another forum and thought everyone here might find it interesting [yes, we are still on topic of tail nipping.]

housing beardies together can cause not only tail nipping, BUT EATING OF THE ENTIRE LIZARD...it doesn't matter whether they are the same size or not.

http://www.smuggled.com/pogona1.htm

(disclaimer: I have no idea who runs this site, but the article is interesting nonetheless).

why do they do this? Because they AREN'T BEING FED ENOUGH!

it turns out another beardie owner possibly had the same thing happen to one of his ... why have this happen when it is so easily prevented???

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

Actually there was a poster a few months ago that showed up here when one of her baby beardies took a bite out of the other one. It died that same night. The pet shop told her beardies should be housed together and she believed them. She thought it was a freak accident, went and got another baby beardie because she thought it was cruel to leave the first one alone. Well, the first beardie tried to eat that one too. Had it's entire head in it's mouth. I don't know if the other beardie died as well, she never followed up on the story, but it didn't sound good. :(