Biten tail off

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Keeper_of_Lizards, Aug 19, 2004.

1. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Hate me if you want, just read the whole post first.

Hmmm, I have read the whole thread and I have noticed something, the teen queen seems to be off sulking. Too many people telling her that maybe she doesn't know everything yet and that maybe she should listen to some advice.
    Keeper, if you want to get angry, do that with the people who gave you the original instructions when you got your Beardie, not the people who have studied, listened, and generally absorbed all of the information out there.

I am not saying they know all there is to know, just that experienced keepers tend to know what is good for your pet.
    I 'rescued' my first lizard from our daughters friend, lovely little green iguana. He came in a tank (10gal) , kitty litter on the floor, a heat rock, and was being fed broccolli florettes.

I looked up Igauana care online, nearly fainted, it was all wrong, where was the mention of feeding them pinkies, what is all this about lights, big cages, and a vegan diet. Oh My God, this thing gets to 7' and may or may not be friendly.

Since then, I have read many sites, listened to many keepers, and learnt a lot in general.

My best advice to you would be forget the anger, lizards feel it, and stop worrying about cost. Pride will kill your "beloved"

Take in what you read and hear, and sift through it. Compare sites and see what they say in common, normally the common factors are the basic things your pet needs to live and the differences are still good, normally the personal preferences of the individual keeper. One thing I will say, of all the sites I have visited, all the things I have read, I have seen very little bad advice. The one thing to remember is that you never can know all there is to know about caring for your pet, things change, products improve, and we all realise that our babies come first. Like I said, pride will kill your beloveds.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Keeper_of_Lizards

Keeper_of_Lizards New Member

no i was not off "sulking" i had gotten grounded for spending another 100 on building an outside cage for my iguana. I know how big they get and i know they aren't always nice hell mines not nice unless she's asleep but i'm working with her and thats what counts, and she needs to get outside more.
    I did not know when i bought my dragons what was what sex they were too young. it's been only recently that i found Celestrial was a female and Silverspike was a male and nothing i've read before said that before they hit sexual maturity that they couldn't be housed together so i gave it a try for space reasons. They get about 50+ crickets in their cage every morning and they pick at them and the salad through the whole day. I know my mistake I'll have to live with that and i never said i was "mad" I just come off as mad. My "pride" hasn't killed any of my beloveds but my brother has.
    Why should i come back to this site everyday anyway? I don't have that kind of time and i have my responsibilities to care of. as u keep reminding me I AM 17 and i have parents to listen to and an older sister and younger brother that i have to share the computer with.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Keeper_of_Lizards

um yeah who said i was a girl? :evil:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

Same reason everyone else does, of all ages. Because they love to learn and share ideas with other reptile keepers.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Keeper_of_Lizards

but not EVERYDAY thats a little much when ur suppose to be spending time with your beloveds rather than the internet talking to other people.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

Occasional is fine too. Some people can only come in on the weekends or whatever.

Did someone tell you to come here everyday?

12. Keeper_of_Lizards

nah just wondering what u guys were sayin now and got insulted so i signed in. i never said i was a girl or guy and i wasn't off sulking

13. kephy

kephy Moderator

You said you have a boyfriend so I guess it was a natural assumption.

Anyways, the way you asked why you should come here everyday made it sound like someone told you that you should. If you don't like it here, you don't have to stay. I can understand if your first experience has left a bad taste in your mouth. If you do come back occasionally after things cool down, I think you'll find what a valuable resource this kind of community can be. People come back here because they want to, because it is normally a very friendly and helpful place to learn and share knowledge about reptile husbandry, and a lot of the time it's fun.

14. Keeper_of_Lizards

i understand that i just find it insulting that i was expected by that other person to come everyday and when i don't I'm a "sulking teen queen" not nice. i never made fun of anyone and did not expect it

15. kephy

kephy Moderator

Understood.

So, are you a girl?

16. Keeper_of_Lizards

yeah lol :wink: but that doesn't mean lturbott should have assumed that :evil:

17. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Sorry if I offended you by assuming you were female.

You have unfortunately missed my point.

I try to help everyone one time only, bad reaction, you get your wish, no more from me.

18. Keeper_of_Lizards

just don't assume thats a whole other arguement waiting to happen lol so heres a question to show i'm being friendly. how big is your iguana(s)?

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

You said you had a boyfriend. That makes it no longer an assumption, but an educated guess. :(

20. Keeper_of_Lizards

lol ur right but it's not nice to assume things i was waiting for someone to assume my genderbut yes i am an age 17 female named Regina but gi for short

21. Keeper_of_Lizards

did i mention i have too many animals? cause i do......my basement is a zoo.....does anyone know about chinese water dragons? my b/f wants one and i KNOW he's not going to take care of it so i'll just take it from him

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

I really don't know much about those. Sorry. :?

I have 8 pets right now. 1008 if you count the crickets. :(

23. herpslave

herpslave Member

I think this thread should be locked. Or atleast some messages deleted... We all know your a girl now. No need to keep dragging the problem. When it shouldn't even be a problem. I think everyone has got there thoughts in her head. Crap hearing this rambling everyday is quite annoying. My curiosity could not resist coming here after somany messages. I jsut could not ignore it anymore...

24. kipod

kipod New Member

personally, I don't think the thread should be "locked" because there are a lot of people who can leard from Keeper's mistakes. As to the more personal messages, I suppose that is the monitor's decision.

Keeper -- I understand you are trying to find a way to separate them and your extra tank has your extra crickets in them. You might think about just "setting the crickets free" -- take them to a park or nearby mountains or fields and let them go. If that isn't practical, then the best thing you can do is put something in the tank to divide it in half, like a piece of plywood or something.

the most important thing to realize is that you have one very dominant beardie. after everything I've read about beardie cannibalism, I would suspect the next time your little guy won't just stop at the tail -- even if you are feeding him enough [and eating 1/2 the tail is pretty extreme, you are lucky he stopped there and didn't devour your little girl]. he is definitely a danger to the other one. perhaps the cannibalism threat will pass with age...they have a tendency to do this when they are young.

as to your iguana, you can expect him to get 5-7 feet long...and won't be all that nice. I have a lot of friends who have kept them, and they really do turn into difficult monsters. this is the problem with iguanas and the reason why so many people just let them loose when they get too big and out of hand and the fire department has to come and get them out of the trees. the unfortunate thing is that the igs end up being "destroyed."

and as far as how much time people spend here -- I can spend time on my computer while still caring for my beardie because I keep him in my home office. and, he will sometimes enjoy hanging out with my at my desk, but since he is quick and likes to jump, we don't do this very often. when he's older, I'm sure he will spend quite a bit of time in front of the computer -- of course, as long as he doesn't poop on it [which he has already done once]. he is truly fascinated by it!

25. Keeper_of_Lizards

thanx anyway. well after 2 feet i'm just letting the iguana run around the the first floor. and probably the beardies on another when they get full grown so caging wont be a problem. and with the crickets i stuck...i'm not counting them too many....but lil over 300 crickets in a tiny carry case thing (poor things but i have no choice) and everyone that was left cause they wouldn't stop hopping long enough for me to catch them were released outside right now the cage is soaking in water and 10% bleach to get rid of the mess they left. I'm never ordering a 1000 crickets at once again maybe 250...dunno
    now i have to deal with the C.W.D problemm...oh weee lol
    thanx 4 all the help people :D
    (while ignoring everyone elses rude comments)