black blood and borneo pics

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Blake_Herman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

just some new pics of these two, the black blood won't be with us too much longer, she's going off in a trade... hello beautiful female pastel... :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Blake...can you tell me the difference between a Borneo short-tailed python and a blood? They look very similar to me!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blake_Herman

well, I'll do my best to explain it...

the terms are techincally the same and refer to the species Python curtus, but there are of course subspecies. The Malaysian and Sumatran are deep red in color (also the Thailand locale), which is where the name "blood python" came from. Bloods also tend to have slightly longer tails than the short-tails. And then the borneos and the black sumatrans (which are these two pictured) are generally called short-tails... but I hear "black blood-python" a lot... there isn't a huge difference on the blacks, because they come from Sumatra, which the Sumatran reds are blood pythons...

sorry, confusing maybe...? :wink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Very nice pythons. I hear black blood alot too. I also hear borneo bloods as well. I myself enjoy the sumatran reds, but black bloods are very nice as well. I almost grabbed a pair at the last show but changed my mind. I think I read somewhere that the main difference is genetics and morpological. That borneo looks pretty big. My blood is growing alot too. I got him at just under 2' and now he's hitting 3' and getting nice and round. He loves his f/t rats. Unfortunately I need to cut my collection down quite a bit but the blood is definitly one of my keepers. Him, the gtp, the coppers, the male jcp and the pygmy rattler I'm getting next show will be all I plan on keeping for a while. Nice snakes blake.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blake_Herman

thanks, I've actually never heard of them as "borneo bloods"... that's a new one to me... :wink:

the borneo is growing nicely, he weighs about 2,800 grams now and eats f/t jumbo rats... I'm trying to cut my collection down as well, the black blood is going, but the borneo is staying... so where did you see that there is a genetic difference between short-tails and bloods? and if I can ask, what is the difference? Other than slight size differences, it must be subtle...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bodom85

bodom85 Member

To tell you the truth I dont remember. I read an article on that one time. It probably is subtle. I'll see if I can track it down. Its been a long time since I read it. I'll see about tracking it down and forwarding it to you. Yeah I've seen kingsnake people list them as borneo bloods alread. Are you going to use the borneo in a superball project?

12. Blake_Herman

possibly... :wink: thanks

13. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Here is the article I was tallking about. Its a pdf link so I hope you have adobe acrobat or something. I was probably wrong about the genetic thing but I did read somewhere that the main difference is scale count and locale. Have fun reading it. I would but I've busy.

http://www.anu.edu.au/BoZo/Scott/PDF%20Fil...al.P.curtus.pdf

14. Blake_Herman

I know this thread has been inactive for a week or so, but I finally took a better picture of the black blood and I didn't see a point in making a new thread...

[​IMG]

15. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Very nice. I kick myself for passing up that pair of black bloods at the last reptile show. I need to shoot some photos of my blood soon.

16. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

the black blood is very impressive. the eyes look like they are orange in color or it might just be the angle and light it was takin in not sure.

17. Blake_Herman

nope, they're orange... :wink: thanks!

18. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I am obsessed with Borneos!

From what I've read, they are pretty much Bloods that are a bit shorter and more tame. ??

Is yours aggressive?

19. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i've seen a very black black-blood python,, its really black, except with the yellowish white, belly,,
    i really want to have a blood python, the red not the black, they're cool!
    and very strong.. :D