blue crested gecko

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by drewferguson1983, Mar 9, 2012.

1. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

i have a blue cresty what does this mean

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I'm not really sure I understand what you are asking, can you be more specific about your question?

Can you take pictures of it?

Crested geckos cannot be blue - its believed that they do not actually have chromatophores or true pigmentation that allow them to attain true green or blue coloration. We see "olive" crested geckos that can appear quite green under cerain light and in certain conditions, but blue should not be possible. I have seen some geckos that, by MY definition of green I would call green, but by serious keepers who understand the anatomy is actually an ideal combination of brown and yellow pigment to produce a faux 'green' coloration. It depends on how critical you want to be, and who you are talking to.

There is a bit of a myth generated about blue crested geckos existing - I recall in Reptiles magazine an article by Allen Repashy (2003 ish?) that had a picture of a very blue crested gecko, but this was apparently enriched coloration by the editors of the magazine and not representative of the gecko at all in real life.

This could "mean" a couple of things...Your crested gecko may be about to shed and appears to have a unique color to it, or under the right light it may appear to have a blue-ish hue...but its likely very subjective. If you believe you have a blue crested gecko, most others will probably opt to politefully disagree with you. We just don't see true blue coloration in the Rhacodactylus genus.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

here is pictures of my gecko

Attached Files:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

if this isnt blue i dont know what is

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow he is a beauty! Is that him "fired up" or his normal state?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

what is fired up

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Here is an example of a crested gecko not "fired up"
    [​IMG]

And here is the same crestie, just "fired up"
    [​IMG]

It's when crested geckos get excited or agitated or are generally excited (one of my cresties would only fire up when he was eating, lol). They get "brighter" or less dull in a way...

13. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

im hoping this is his nomal state but im not sure

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Lol - I'm inclined to say that that gecko would fit my definition of blue by the photo, but I tend to go off what I actually see in an animal rather than what is scientifically accurate. I always tell people that if it looks green, call it green, just make an aside that it is a very nicely colored olive for the die-hards in the hobby.

These color topics get a lot of controversy in the crested gecko world - you will get plenty of criticism... you can convince some your crested gecko is blue and others will refuse to believe it no matter how nice the pictures are and how "blue" it appears. For starts, anyone big-time in rhacs is first going to ask for better quality pictures, would ensure that no photoshopping is done, etc. Don't take this the wrong way, just preparing you for what to expect. I've seen people claim their gecko as green and get absolutely torn up by the big time morph enthusiasts.

Your gecko is very nice, regardless. It has lovely contrast; and most are going to tell you that you have a nice lavendar that appears 'blue' in given lighting conditions, etc. But regardless, it is a very nice specimen, and I'm sure most would agree with me regardless of what name it receives.

I've actually had some very nice, high contrast dark (blonde) harlys that, when fired down in the right lighting, appeared to have a lavendarish hue. I still opted to call them high contrast Blondies or Dark Harlequin's simply because that is what they appear as once fired up.

15. drewferguson1983

drewferguson1983 Embryo

well thanks alot i dont really care about the enthusiast i know what i have i can see it with my own eyes light or no light i guess my gecko is really rare if people cant belive i have a blue gecko

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Either way he's a pretty crestie and you're happy with him and that's all that matters :)

JEFFREH likes this.