Blue eyes?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Jay_herb_com, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

Is there any reason for a snakes eyes to be blue other than shedding? it looks like Brothas are a little blue but he sheds around the 25th

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gonzo1961

Gonzo1961 Member

Blue eyes indicate a shed is soon. Snakes rarely look at a calendar LOL, I have mine shed 2 weeks apart and the same snake go as long 7-8 weeks between sheds. I think it all depends on growth and humidity levels. But I have also seen her eyes go blue for a couple of days only to return to normal without any shedding at all.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. garybingham

garybingham Member

a cut or scratch will make a corn shed sooner than normal

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

They turn blue because of the fluid excreted through the skin trying to release the old skin on top.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

I think he mite be shedding cuz hes also burrowing alot

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Chances are, he's shedding. Mine sheds pretty irregular as well. I got him back in late June and in the first few months he shed twice. Then he shed again back in October. Hasn't shed since then.

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

...alternatively, your UTH has broken down and he's frozen :D

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol Are you talking to me Skunky? The UTH has definitely not broken down :D He's just over 7yrs old though, so he doesn't shed much anymore.

14. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Hehe..no Ash :D I was just kidding with Jay Herb, saying the reason his snakes eyes are blue is because he's a frozen popsicle :)

15. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol you're such a silly one :D

16. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Sigh..I confess that to be true :D

..and you're a good sport :)

17. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

I went out and bought some repti-shedding aid and some moss becuz last shed it wasnt in one piece and it was a real long process and the lower part of him came off way later and you could see that the color and skin was a little damaged so hopefully that stuff works. Is 70% alrite during shedding cuz I heard somewhere else thats to high?

18. irishdevil

irishdevil New Member

Frankie eyes turned blue than back to regular and than the day before turn back to blue. I just thought maybe he was just diffferent...glad to know my is not the only one to do that.

19. tkmofo

tkmofo New Member

Jay what kind of surfaces do you have in your tank for Brotha to rub on? It's a good idea to have some variation in textures to help with shedding, with some semi-rough spots like with those half-log hides, or with some wood climbs/branches (I got some nice grapewood branches from Petco pretty cheap, that have both smooth and rough spots). Having a few of these types of surfaces (at least one hot, one cold) can help ensure a more complete shed. Also, of course, decent water dish and sufficient humidity - I've heard 70% a few places too, but have also heard that's high enough to instigate respiratory problems. I figure it should be sufficient to keep at the higher end of 40-60%, but I'm no expert.

20. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

I have the half-log hide and some vines from PETCO, that wasn't the problem; there was jst not enough humidity durin the last shed, my fault but I've takin care of that

21. tkmofo

tkmofo New Member

gotcha... so is he still blue?

22. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

Ya he is but hes definetly shedding becuz hes jst sleeping all day, I guess hes getting ready for that all niter

23. tkmofo

tkmofo New Member

lol i can relate

24. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

his eyes will prbly turn back tomorrow and a shed a day or two later

25. irishdevil

irishdevil New Member

My husband got me this really nice mister that is use on plants. It gives the effect of a nice warm rain. We use it arond the time they are about to shed and it is wonderful and they love it. I will find out where he got it.