Blues or Yellows

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by jo5h, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jo5h

jo5h Embryo

Anyone know where to get any for less than $100?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Good luck finding a blue. They are really rare, and i don't know what the deal is with them being able to be kept in captivity now, seeing as they've gotten so rare over the years, there is now a risk that they may become extinct. Anolis roquet or the blue anole are the most attractive species of anole imo, especially with their pure white dewlaps.

As for yellow anoles, correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never heard of yellow anoles, but there is a species called the yellow chinned anole (Anolis gundlachi) however ive never seen these or heard of them being in captivity either.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jo5h

jo5h Embryo

What I'm looking for is A. carolinensis. I know there's a yellow phase and I really know there is a blue phase, I've talked with a wholesaler and was told he gets one or two in every 250-500 shipment. I was just wondering if there was anyone who bred the traits. But thanks for the info.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

The common name for Anolis carolinis is the Green Anole.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

There are Yellow forms of Anolis carolinensis about but they are not very common.
    Deferent color changes are usually caused by a mutated gene that effects either the blue or Yellow pigmentation in the skin.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

This is a yellow phase anole. The pictures were taken By Bob Carmany when he found one on his property.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rawksan

Rawksan Embryo

Yellow A. carolinensis are found on an unknown probability. The only one reported to date is Bob Carmany's one. (but he did not find it on his property, but someone else did, and Bob reached for it in an hour long ride away from his house, to correct plmarsg8)

Blue A. carolinensis are found on a probability of 1:20000 (that is 1 on every 20 000 specimen approx.) according to one anole distributor in Louisiana, as reported by Philippe de Vosjoli.
    He also says you have to pay around 100$ or more for one.
    I heard you have to be on a list to get one, because they are high in demand.

I know that here in montreal canada, you would have to pay around 200$ for one, and the waiting time is long.