Boa problem

Discussion in 'Boas' started by bruno, Oct 11, 2008.

1. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi
    Was checking out Tenza my 2 yr old boa, yesterday, as she has gone into shed "blue stage".
    She was just finishing a poop and I noticed it wasn't the usual colour, the solid matter was a mucky yellow and the white urate was very thick and sticky...yuk. :) also the solid was very hard and didn't have the usual hair in it.
    I'm lucky, I keep several sample bottles at home, so immediately took a sample to vet, there will be an 8 to 10 days wait for the results, I'm having a full fecal check done. This includes cryptosporidia and campalybacter, as well as the usual parasite, salmonella, E-Coli and various others.
    I dont know what you guys in the States get charged for this, but here in the UK it's very expensive, there are very few laboratories that can perform these tests for reptiles, hence the price of £80 ($160), if it had been a cat or dog it would have been about £20.
    I think that because they are reptiles we are being ripped off but have no choice in the matter, sadly, it has to be done.

The temps and setup have never changed and she eats her usual large rat a week.
    The rats by the way are laboratory rats specially bred under strict conditions so they are always good quality.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had experienced same the problem, or got any input to this.

Thanks

Bruno

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

UPDATE
    Since the nasty poo, when she was in "blue".
    Tuesday she shed
    Wednesday another poo ( very large 170 grams :) ) but normal colour with hair etc.
    Thursday ate large rat with no hesitation.
    So whats going on not sure, results due next week.