BRB with scale rot, need advice

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by jshoe, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jshoe

jshoe Embryo

Hey guys,

I have a year old brazilian rainbow boa and ive noticed that she is beginning to get scale rot. I've been giving her 2 baths a day with betadine and cleaning her cage everyday, but i dont know what to do about the humidity. BRBs require 80+ humidity, but scale rot thrives in high moisture. I've lowered her humidity to about 68-72 but im afraid to go much lower than that for her health. its kind of a catch 22. I've gotten advice from people, but they were all just boa owners, none had a brb. so if anyone knows what i can do for her please let me know. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey there jshoe,

What are you using as substrate? And do you have an accurate thermometer to measure temperatures? (either tempgun or digital thermometer w/ probe?)

Scale Rot can take some time to clear up, but you have to be very persistent about treating it. Keep up with your daily cage and water cleans, and your twice daily betadine dips. You can also try applying 3% hydrogen peroxide to the belly scales or similar antiseptic; though betadine alone is usually quite successful.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - the key is religious applications of the betadine and keeping things SPOTLESS, and dry.

Make sure that the method of providing humidity in the enclosure is not through the substrate - the substrate can remain dry while the enclosure can stay somewhat humid; it is possible to have a somewhat humid enclosure without condensation and moisture on surfaces.

Keep up with the treatment and keep us posted, I'm sure it will begin to clear up. If it begins to get worse, et her to a vet for an antibiotic and stronger antiseptic to be used on the area. http://herpvetconnection.com

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. xlendi

xlendi Member

Hello Jshoe,
    Though I certainly will cede to whatever Jeff says, in my travels over this last month I have noticed a number of our reptiles living in their natural and original habitats, but in conditiions that are not at all near what we try to provide for them in humidity. I am not a all sure how long this situation lasted for them, but from what I was told by locals, it is pretty much the norm for them for this time of year. Would if it would be OK, I wonder, for you to lower the humidity for a while until the problems are cleared up a bit? I had a Brazilian Rainbow a number of years ago (my most favourite snake of all time) and will be getting another one as soon as it is definitely warm enough to ship. Mine did just fine during times when I could not keep all conditions just right - as when I was fisrt getting things set up at college. I wish you both well. Keep us updated, please.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

BRBs are considered intermediate level reptiles for this reason. The trick is providing both high humidity, and very high air flow, to prevent condensation and actual moisture buildup. The bedding should be dry.