breeders licenses?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by StikyPaws312, Nov 17, 2006.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I live in MA at the moment (South Boston). But I still have my drivers license saying I live in NY (Long Island). So where should I get a breeders license from, NY or MA? or both?
    I'm so confused b/c I have heard that to be able to officially sell your reptiles you need to have a breeders license but I have been searching all morning in both NY and MA government sites and have found nothing on breeders licenses.... on the other hand i did find out my dog is supposed to be licensed.... woops. lol.
    Any "official" breeders out there that could give me some advice? I'm fine with just adopting out my herps I bred this year but I was looking into doing it to make at least a bit of money back next year... Any help is greatly apppreciated :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

try your local wild life comm, class III reptile license

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LeoDee

LeoDee Well-Known Member

Typically you don't need a permit to breed non-native species. Also, small-scale "hobby" breeders are often exempt, so long as they do not earn more than a certain dollar amount per year from breeding. Here is a good reference for licensing in your state.

The following classes of license may be issued under this section...
    (4) To any individual, a propagator’s license to possess, maintain, buy, sell, offer for sale or have in possession for the purpose of sale, birds, mammals, reptiles or amphibians.

You'd probably just get a license in the state you'll be selling them in. Hope all this helps, and good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

gah! I was on that site! lol. Thanks so much marshall and leodee. I just want to make sure i do this legally, lol. Thanks!