breeding crickets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by missy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. missy

missy Member

i went to the pet store yesterday just to look at the bearded dragons. my mom kept asking the guy who worked there questions. she told him that i wanted to breed my crickets and he said that it was EXTREMELY difficult.
    wut id like to know is if hes telling the truth. is it really so incredibly difficult to breed crickets. i already have bins to keep them in and the soil for laying eggs and all i need is the crickets. is it really so hard to breed them??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i dont know for if its hard to breed them but im thinkin he said that because he wants u to buy crix from his store

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. missy

missy Member

my folks say hes a teen and he dusnt care but this is wut im thinkn 2 :roll:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

Actually it is quite hard. First of all. The bigger crickets will eat the eggs if not removed in a week or two period. Another thing is that they can and most likely will eat there babie pinheads. Escpapes are very hard to not experience btw. Some crickets seem to be like hey Im gonna die sometime, Im gonna die now thing. If in a closed not too ventilated area they can really sstink and smell like rotten vegetables as well that may be another possibility. There is some more info probably just I no longer breed crickets. They are too annoying for me. I used to but quit.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lturbott

lturbott Member

I had someone give me a pointer on why I wasn't getting any baby crickets, and you are right about the bigger ones eating the small ones and eggs herps, the pointer I got was to put a screen that is big enough for the babies to fall through but not to the big ones. That way the babies go to the bottom part and the bigger ones stay on top. There is no fear of them being eaten and the eggs can hatch just fine.

So, we are rigging this up now and I will let you all know how it works out!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

Screen at the bottom? The eggs are very fragile. Need misted, and made sure not even one cricket gets through. Crickets prefer laying on something to set there eggs in or under. I would not think they would do it in a open space.

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

not that incredibly difficult like you say . just move the cointainer of eggs in the moist soil to another container, and wait for them to hatch. And have a heating mat underneath the breeding enclosure. 80 degs. saves me so much money. use plastic containers cut big holes in it and put screen in its place for ventilation.

13. missy

missy Member

i have 3 contaners for three sizes (no crix yet) but i ges the guy was saying its so hard cuz of mold (found that out the hard way) thanks 4 the input
    now my question is wut about mold.
    at first i thought the soil was just prone to it but now im starting to realize that this soil is full of mold spores.
    :evil:

14. missy

missy Member

any input would b greatly appreciated
    (just 4got that part ;) )

15. lturbott

lturbott Member

This is the set up. You use the damp peat or soil for them to lay the eggs in, then after they hatch they will fall through the screen so there is no fear in them being eaten. It shouldn't be large gauge screen of course. As I said I am going to give it a try. And Joe, what do you put in your container that they lay the eggs in?

;)