Breeding iguanas

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by DeadByDesign, Mar 31, 2008.

1. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

i have a green and pure red iguana that i would really love to breed if any one has any info on sexing, clutch sizes, red and green compatabillity, and how to accomodate them for mateing/laying there eggs/ and incubation please share your knowlege

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Red iguanas are supposedly Green iguanas with red coloring. There are varying theories as to what causes it, from diet, to hormonal causes, to geographic origin. So I doubt you will get much results, probably just a bunch of baby green iguanas.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

You shouldnt breed them theyre is already too many iguanas without home and usually a iguana will lay between 20 and 60 eggs so if you iggy does become gravid destroy the eggs

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

i did some more research on red iggs and apparently its not a green with a rare color its a whole other genus im not sure what will come out if i breed a red and a green im not sure if ill be able to yet there to young to be sexed if i do sucsessfully breed them dont worry ill make sure they find good homes theres a reptile fair that come around where i live every 3 months or so all the breeders from pa and the surrounding states come and sell all different kinds of reptiles i intend to get a table and sell them and some of the other animals i breed

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'd just like to recommend against breeding green iguanas. There is no demand for them, and take a look around at pet stores, reptile rescue shelters (and many even get dumped into the wild!). A reptile fair is probably the worst thing to take iggs to. You get people buying them because they're cheap, and keep them in ridiculously harsh and poor living conditions. Just my 2c.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

im hopeing if i cross greens with reds it produce a much more sought after iguana coloration i mean i dont breed just for the money either its a very gratifying hobby but have you seen how much albino iguanas go for these days or blue iguanas i wouldent really waste time with greens becuz there every where i look at pet stores and they all look so unhappy in there small cages but if i could produce another color variation it would be amazeing i just wish i could find more info on the subject i searched all over the internet and people say a whole spectrum of things about it so i dont know what to make of any of it yet i hope by the time the little guy reaches matuerity illl have found something

12. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

You try to say you're not breeding them for money, yet you bring up the fact that albino or blue iguanas costs a lot of money, which that means you're only breeding them for money. Which we already established you will most likely get more green iguanas and not get much for them, and that will just be more iguanas that get treated poorly and will get dumped and won't have a home. This type of stuff is what give reptile hobbyists bad names.

13. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

yea man youll probably end up with alot of greens i think if it was that easy to breed different iguanas they wouldnt be so expensive you know?
    but i would definatly not do it theres way too many iguanas with out homes now.

14. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

LOL so your telling me that cuz i like to breed animals and make money off them at the same time its becuz i only want the later wow thats just childish your telling me that musicians that love to play music are only in it for the money if they get paid for it? grow up seriously theres nothing wrong with makeing money from something you love doing and im about 95% sure reds and greens dont make greens becuz ive seen pics of mixed color iggs. most of the other animals i breed i keep or use for food for some of my bigger herps or my girlfriends herps i sell a couple here and there noting that would be considered a profit anyway if u take into consideration the expenses ive paid for the animals exsept the cats ive bred they are a different story but like i said its a gratifying hobby for me

15. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I would just ask you to think for a second if it is really worth it bringing more iggys into this world, when they will most likely have terrible care, and live neglected lives.

16. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

ill promise you ill look into the matter more befor i attempt breeding them ill make sure i have hard evidence that reds and greens make something other than greens becuz i dont want to have more neglected animals in the world either

17. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Everything I found online said the same thing: that red is only a color phase. I honestly can't see how breeding a red and green would get you anything but greens, maybe a few reds, but not blues or albinos. With the large number of iguanas needing homes already I really can't see how it would be worth it.

18. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

if reds are just a color phase of green wouldent u think that 2 reds would make greens? im not trying to make albinos or blues and ill try and find the pic of a cross color igg

19. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Either way green will probably be the "dominant" color and wash out whatever other color you do hope to achieve. I've seen where my green iguana started to change to an orange color cause there was too much carotene from carrots in her diet. Needless to say I threw out the carrots and she's her lovely vibrant green.

20. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

why dont you just keep one of the eggs and destroy the rest or something

21. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

What i will probally do is Attempt to breed them if everything works out well and she lays eggs then i will incubate them and when they hatch keep them all in there own tank and wait a little for there colors meanwhile ill be useing them as feeders for a couple of my animals that way its a win win win... i try my experement... my animals are fed... you all know there are no neglected iggs

22. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

just a bunch of dead ones

23. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

thats better than letting them go to get killed or letting them go to neglectful homes or to be put down. its seem cruel but at least something is being done so their deaths are dragged out long and painful. being eaten is a part of the circle of life.

24. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

or just not do it in the first place and worry about the ones you already have.
    that would be the smart choice.

25. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

probally just use them as feeder lizards for my lizard eating snakes