Breeding iguanas

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by DeadByDesign, Mar 31, 2008.

1. kilmyos

kilmyos Embryo

If your interested in breeding for the different morphs get into something else, like corns or leopards. Just a little bit easier to manage IMO. just my .00002 cents

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. beefcake

beefcake Member

if your really die hard about breeding the igunanas call up the people who setup the expo and get some connections. make some phone calls and see if iggs are actually in demand before you venture into this. i cant count the number of iguanas ive seen bought and put into like a 20 gallon by uneducated owners who dont think they will even grow very big.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

K, so, Red iguanas are a different kind of iguana, not a man-made color morph. They have developed over many generations in different habitats than green iguanas. They are crossible, and the result of a cross is sort of just a brown iguana with no exciting coloration. I would reccomend finding someone with another red iguana.
    Sexing in mature iguanas is very simple. Males have huge jowls, are larger, and get aggressive in their breeding season. They also have two bumps below their vent under the skin, and they have femoral pores on their back legs that are very large. Females that are sexually mature become gravid once a year if cared for properly.
    Gravid is when they are full of eggs, and a properly cared for and properly mature iguana will lay eggs (and not reabsorb them).
    Also, you do not have to incubate the entire clutch. The entire clutch would not hatch in the first place, but if it did, you'd have as many as 60 iguanas to find homes for. I would reccomend finding homes but advertising the breeding of red iguanas and taking reservations, and then incubating about five to seven more eggs than you have reservations for. I also reccomend properly educating the people making reservations as they wait.
    After the eggs incubate, the babies can be homed together. They must be given ADULT iguana feces to eat in their cage in order to develope a proper immune system, as well as high humidity, hiding spots, and a slurry of high-protein and high-calcium foods that contain no animal products.

Good luck and tell me what you do!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

Just thought it might need to be pointed out that this thread is nearly a year old and the person who started the topic hasn't posted at reptile rooms in 6 months. I think they've probably already made their decision and moved on.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. grabdagauge

grabdagauge Embryo

Ay bro you wanna know what your gonna get if you breed your green ig with your red igg? All your gonna get is some green iggy's and some red iggy's. Trust me Ive had iguanas all my life and have bred them! PM me if you wanna see some pics or have questions.