brown iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by kts, Jan 8, 2005.

1. kts

kts Embryo

do iguanas change colors? mine is starting to get a brownish/orangish tint to him and i dont think hes old enough to be in breeding season cause hes only like 16 inches long. he eats fine and seems healthy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i think it's probably normal. iguanas *are* capable of changing colors a bit due to temperature, breeding availability, and mood (but not nearly as much as chameleons). i wouldn't worry about it unless he stops eating or moving or begins to show other signs of illness or skin problems. he's probably just in a "brown mood" today! :wink: :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kts

kts Embryo

haha but like he doesnt seem any different and runs around alot and still eats so yea i think you might be right, but hes just been like that lately i didnt know what it was

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

if he's still running around and eating and stuff, i'm sure he's fine. our igs change colors like that sometimes, too. sometimes the color change lasts for a few minutes, sometimes it lasts for a few days - or even longer. just keep an eye on him. :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kts

kts Embryo

how big are yours?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

quincy is approximately 3 years old and he's maybe 3' long (of course that includes the tail which comprises 2/3 of that length). he's a little smaller than he should be because he had a battle with mbd when we rescued him. he's recovered remarkably, though. xena is about 5 years old and is a good 5' long (again, including the tail).

i can't take good measurements because the igs are at my university and i'm at home right now, so these are estimations.

biochic also has an ig of her own that she keeps at the university (she works there, i'm a student). his name is pedro and he's about 2 years old i think. he's maybe 2' long.

12. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

and my baby is 4.5 foot and approx 7yrs old :)

13. kts

kts Embryo

i cant wait until mine grow cause right now theyre only just over a foot, but in the summer im planning to walk them places outside and take them places with me

14. Hummingbird

you're going to have to be very careful. most iguanas do *not* like people and will gladly jump off of you to run away or scratch someone. i also hope that you realize how large their cages will need to be.

15. IguanaDonna

IguanaDonna Embryo

^^^ indeed! You can get iguana leashes, but from my experience they really don't like them either. Don't be fooled by them either! they look real lazy at times, but it the want they can scatter away pretty quick!! I've also found Melissa Kaplan's diet to do wonders for my ig's green color.

16. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

hmm a very good QQQ which i just thought of.My iggy was in "heat(orange legs brown/orange colouring all over) " at least 3mths ago now. i have had her now for 6 weeks and she has lost a little colouring on the legs although still orange; could she be a brown iggy?? because the only green i see is vaguley under her chin and around her "lips"

17. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Iguanas of any sex come in different "main" colors. I mean by that that their dominant color can be green, turquoise, brown, orange, and sometimes gray. This can change with age and health over time and some areas of the body can change coloration more often. Usually an ig has a set pattern of color and those colors lighten and darken. So whatever dominant color you see on your ig is essentially what color they would be referred to as being.

18. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

ok ty that cleared that up. i was waiting for this emarald green colour. but now at least i know she'll mainly be grey/orange. with a tinge of green after being in the sun all day like turqouiseish :)

19. Hummingbird

like biochic said, ig's can be any of those colors. babies are usually bright green or turquoise and they become darker as they age. most adults are dark green, dark orange, dark brown, or even greyish (like biochic mentioned).

20. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

ok kool as thx for the nfo i learn more everyday i look on this site :D

21. Hummingbird

good - that's what's *supposed* happen! axe and cheri would be glad to hear you say that their site is accomplishing what it's supposed to! :wink:

22. kts

kts Embryo

so like my iguana turns different colors all the time.. like sometimes hes brown, like i said, and sometimes hes really dark green. Today i noticed he looked almost black so i picked him up and fed him( he eats out of my hand) and he lightned up right away, he turned to like lighter greens with brown spots and look pretty cool actually

23. Hummingbird

yeah that's cool. like i said, sometimes the color change lasts a few minutes. sometimes it lasts for a few hours. sometimes it lasts for a few days - or even longer. a lot of things can cause it - the temperature, whether he's awake or asleep or tired or just woke up, the humidity, his mood, how much he's eaten/what he's eaten/when he ate last, time of day/time of year, sexuality, etc etc etc. 99.9% of the time it's perfectly normal. just be on the lookout for other signs of ill health (lack of appetite, lack of pooing, listlessness, weak limbs, curved/soft jaw, muscle wasting, open sores, trembling, loss of coordination, doesn't climb, bent toes/tail, not shedding, etc etc etc).

24. kts

kts Embryo

well now that you mention it, i havent seen either of them shed in a long time, well maybe not that long. i keep it misted and everything but i dunno sometimes ill find little pieces of shedding around their face and fingers, but none like they used too

25. Hummingbird

if the ig's are more than a couple years old, their growth may just be slowing down. thus they would shed less often.