building a turtle tank

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by mxracer4life_41, Sep 28, 2005.

1. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Has anyone ever tried building a custom indoor enclosure for a turtle? I seen a setup at a petstore where they took a 3'x 4' x 1' tub and put it on top of a custom stand, and built the side up the edge of the tub. Now they have it pretty much set up like an aquarium, but the water is only maybe 8" deep. Anyone ever done this? I happened to have some 3/8'' plexiglass laying around, if I made a sturdy wooden frame under and around this would the plexiglass hold? any other ideas? It will be for a breeding pair of RES, with 3/4 water and 1/4 of it land, with rocks, sand etc for the beach. I am wanting it to be like 6ftx3ftx2ft tall.... lots of work to do huh..........

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bandedgecko

bandedgecko Well-Known Member

Go 4 it. Good Luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Just a little FYI, a breeding pair will need much deeper water than 8in...try for at least 12in. ANd you could try to do the "land" area as a raised area on a platform so that it looks like land from the top but is open on the bottom and will allow for more swimming space. Just an idea.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Definitely need deeper water. If you go to www.turtlesale.com then go to the message board and then to the gallery section, you can see some people's enclosures that they have built. Maybe you can ask them how they did it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Thanx for all the advice, but I have changed my mind on the breeding part for now. I want to make sure I have homes for them BEFORE I get babies. later