Bumping up my baby Corn's food

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Sporkanamous, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sporkanamous

Sporkanamous New Member

So my corn is about 5ish months old, and I don't know if one pinkie a week is enough for him anymore. This is my first snake ever and I want to make sure I'm doing my best to care for him. :) The one pinkie doesn't leave much of a bulge anymore. He got grumpy last week and bit me for the first time ever. I'm not sure if that was because he was hungry, or for some other reason. I keep hearing mixed opinions on whether or not feeding him two at once is a good idea (The guy at petco even told me to feed him three at once. I really didn't think that was smart though). My friend who had a corn snake before insists feeding him more than one at once is incredibly unhealthy for them and can even kill him. I don't want to over feed him, but I definitely don't want to underfeed him either.
    (I'll get a good picture of him tomorrow. I don't have any recent ones at the moment, but he is absolutely gorgeous if i do say so myself :) )

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Rather than up his meal size, I'd increase his feeding frequency. Hatchling to year old corn snakes should actually be fed about every 5 days. After that you can switch to weekly feedings. Fully grown adults can be fed even less frequently. However, for now, your snake is still growing and metabolizing much more quickly than an older, larger snake. The snappiness you saw is almost definitely a sign that he's getting hungry before the week is up. Try feeding more often and see how that goes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sporkanamous

Sporkanamous New Member

thank you :) I'll definitely see how that works for him. oh, and here's his picture. 100MEDIA_IMAG0649.jpg

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

He's gorgeous! =D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sporkanamous

Sporkanamous New Member

thanks! [: