Burmese or Ball python?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by aykfc, Jul 20, 2007.

1. aykfc

aykfc Embryo

Some guy found a python and brought it into my work. I am going to be adopting it but am unsure if it is a ball or burmese python. It is a lot darker then a normal ball python but have heard that burmese have similar colorings but a lot darker. It is probably 5 or 6 feet aproximately now and is very thin. I will be trying to give it frozen but will go grab some live if I must. I would like to nurse this guy back to heath so any tips would be great. Let me know your suggestions adn I will try to get some pictures for you all later.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Owthatstings

Owthatstings New Member

By 'found', what do you mean? Did he buy it from a store, or find it wandering aimlessly? Try looking at the head. Burmese pythons' heads are typically wider the whole way through than balls'.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. aykfc

aykfc Embryo

It was foyund in his apartment complex. Is is definetly not native to arizona. Do burmese and balls have the same markings sometimes?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

I would assume it's more along the lines of a Burmese Python because Balls have a max length of 6 foot. 6 Feet is the record.

Edit: well just under 6 feet actually.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. aykfc

aykfc Embryo

Ah it is a red tail boa! He ate a small mouse today so I am hoping I can get him back to help. He did strike my coworker but he should tame down so I can handle him? Also how much UV do the red tail boas require?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

just to through this in there, here's a pic of each that might help out...

Normal Adult Ball Python (would have to be an adult ball at that size):
    [​IMG]

Normal Burmese Python:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I agree, chances are pretty high that it's a burmese (between those two species) if it's that long already... And for some reason, it seems to me like more people are wreckless with burmese than balls, but I don't know why that is... (probably bought it just so they could be cool - have a cool BIG snake)...

12. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Yeah I agree with you blake. Alot of people think burms are cool til they have a 15' 200lb monster on thier hands that they have no where to put and cant find a moose to feed it every week. Big snakes are a challange. At first they may be simple to care for but then you've got a beast that could kill you or someone (maybe a kid/baby). They are beautiful snakes but not for everyone. By the way blake (no to thread jack or anything) but how is that burm you rescued?

13. improvius

improvius New Member

None whatsoever.

14. aykfc

aykfc Embryo

Thanks for all your help guys! I asked my boss who is an "expert" in reptiles because his dad has a major in zoology about uv in snakes, and he made fun of me and called me an idiot when I asked. His response was "All reptiles need UV lighting" Including lepord geckos : / I lost all hope in him after he told me to feed our uros crickets!

I will be checking this guy out tomorrow again. What can I look for? Mites? Mouth rot? What else can I look for, and how can I check for mites and mouth rot. He killed a small mouse but didn't eat it earlier today so I am a little concerned, but he is pretty stressed so I am thinking I don't really have to worry much. He is a beautiful snake though so I am hoping I can get him back to health! Thanks!!!

15. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

Well UV lighting doesn't hurt for most animals, especially if its a diurnal snake. If you want to use UV light then use it in a 12-12 cycle. Some hobbyists say it isn't needed with nocturnal snakes because they arn't exposed to that much UV light but what do we know. Nocturnal snakes are seen in the day-time from time to time.

Edit: On another note I think snakes being nocturnal has more to do with what temperature it is in the day-time rather than the actual UV rays and Sunlight. Which is why they prefer nighttime because it isn't as hot.

16. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Burmese or Ball python?

He's doing fine, but he's getting a lot more aggressive, which isn't a good thing. He actually came after me for about 10 ft last week (striking the whole time while moving at me). And finally I managed to get him pinned down (luckily with no bites!!). Anyways, he's okay... :(

And sorry about my "python" post, aykfc managed to sneak that red tail post in right before mine without me even knowing it... :wink:

Glad to hear everything has been figured out with the mystery snake...