Burmese Python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by JTninja, Nov 30, 2006.

1. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

your burm pretty much has to be younger than you think he is. even with extremely infrequent feedings, he should be much bigger by now. i doubt its some rare dwarf species or anything either. Maybe it's some freak mutation but i really really doubt it. my colombian boa a year and a half and is almost that long even though it was a picky eater growing up. regardless of its size or age, congratulations. burms are great snakes.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wschippr

wschippr New Member

Wow that is really really small for almost 5 years, they start topping out at around 3 or 4 years, if that is the case I would not expect him to get much larger, its growth must have been stunted (and severly) at some point in his life. Once a week is more than enough for feeding, so unless it was feed like pinkies or fuzzies it shouldn't be that small. I have heard of people breeding smaller burmese pythons, but that is relatively new and would have cost a bundle.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

take it to a vet, cant they tell you its general age?
    besides that he looks realy nice

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dadstoys2

dadstoys2 Embryo

Well the only dwarf burms that I have seen were from bob clark. But they cost thousands. I have had several burms and they can be as large as that in 5 months....not 5 years. What are you feeding your burm? I thought I read earlier that you said mice?? That burm should be eating medium to large rats, not mice. That snake could swallow 20+ mice and not even see them. My albino burm is a little over 3ft and eating small rats and shedding sometimes 2x a month.
    I have 20+ experience with reptiles and have never seen a burm of that claimed age only measuring 5ft. Not even possible. I dont mean to argue with what you have been told by the previous owner. But 5ft at 5yrs is just not possible.
    I agree about taking this animal to the vet and get there opinion on it. THe only way this could be possible is if it was a dwarf burm. But that strain is pretty new from what I have learned. Try a search on the web for dwarf burms and you will see they are thousands.
    Good luck with your findings.
    ~Rich

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JTninja

JTninja Embryo

I remember when my friend bought the snake...it was in July of my 7th grade year...Im now in 12th grade. The snake is under 5 feet, unless Ive been measuring wrong my whole life. He might be underfed compared to your guy's standards, trying to get amazing sizes, but correct me if im wrong, but Burmese dont eat often in the wild. He seems healthy, active and loves being handled.