Burmese

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Snow, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Snow

Snow Embryo

Hey Whats up !!!

Any of you guys own Burmese pythons.
    i think thay are the top snake to have
    i hope to be breeding my own soon
    (any advice please)

Keep it real.

Snow:)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Get a BIG house :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Neil

Neil New Member

I think that the Burmese is by far the best-looking python (apart from Green Tree python). I'd really like to own one some day but I'm not sure I'll be able to find the room :). How old and big is yours?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ballpython5000

ballpython5000 Embryo

burmese pythons make great pets. but make shure you know what you are doing. they require alot and could easily kill you. dont get one spur of the moment. make shure you will be able to care for it. and if you think you may end up dumping it becuase it will get too big then don't get it. they are very good pets, but for a beginer i would reccomend none other that a bp. thats my advice. and green tree pythons are cool too.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ballpython5000

ballpython5000 Embryo

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Take it as you may.... this is just my OPINION and I do not mean to influence others with it. I am just sharing my personal view......
    If you have the time and the space to dedicate to breeding a Burmese Python, do you also have space to keep all of the babies?
    Do you know people that you can sell/give the babies to that will provide a home for the snakes entire life?
    I would much rather adopt a large snake from a shelter or rescue one than buy from a pet store or breed them. There are far too many neglected or unwanted large reptiles in need of good homes. I have similar feelings about BCI's but they are not nearly as heavlily "dumped" as Burmese Pythons are. Check out this site http://www.petfinder.org and do a search in your area for repitles it is totally amazing how many burmese pythons and iguanas are out there.
    Once again that is my opinion! :)

[Edited on 12/3/2002 by stormyva]

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that opinion Stormy. Everything I've read and been told seems to indicate that the Burm is the snake world equivalent of the Iguana.

All too many people spend far to little money on a snake that's going to get about 20ft longer than they thought it would :)

Just like the iguanas, they can't handle them, or they can't provide the adequate food, and dispose of them, by some means or another. The only exception is, iguanas don't have the potential to eat your pets, kids, etc.

So, always be VERY cautious when buying a large snake of any kind, and evne more cautious when breeding them. When breeding, you've not only got the safety of your snakes (and household) to take into consideration, but also those of any potential offspring.

13. azsnkman

azsnkman Embryo

I just bought my first Burmses and received him on saturday. I dont plan on breeding and he will my only one so im not to worried

check this out.
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/den/news/s...210-190241.html

in regards to this article, morons whjo wrap their snakes around their necks to be cool deserve this...well at least with an 7+ foot snake