Buyin a crestie: need some advice!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by longswordjd, Jan 15, 2006.

1. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

Ok here we go! I want to know exactly what you guys have in your enclosures and if it is workin out good! Also I wanted to know if it was better to get a baby or adult crestie? Would a 10 gallon with an add on to the top be good for juvie? Is there anything bad about buyin a crestie with no tail. Would you reccomend a boy or girl crestie. how much of their diet is babyfood. and likewise for crix? if you answer these questions i will be pretty much set. thanks

longswordjd

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

I have silk plants, exo terra vines that are bendable, and most of the adult ones have either a lagoon or hammock. Substate is either paper towel or eco earth (depends if they are old enough, or they are in the breeding cage. The enclosure; as long as it is 20 gal or more will be fine for up to an adult, or if the add on is less than ten it will be fine for a juvie yes. Nothing wrong with a tailess gecko, except they have no tail. And you don't have to worry about them dropping it. As for male/female choice is yours. Adult or baby, choice is also yours. A baby can get used to you and you can get used it it instead of someone telling you what they are like. Also with a baby, you get to watch it grow up. You just have to watch your substrate. Babies (most) will eat 60-70% crickets, rest baby food. They will really eat anything that moves. Adults, depends on the gecko. Some are lazy and will eat up to 80-90% babyfood and crixets rest. Some are more cricket minded and will eat a 50 50 mix. Just what ever amount of crickets they will eat at their age is how much they will eat. Different gecko will eat different ratios. You just have to get to know your gecko and find out what it likes. The ratios are just a general idea.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

ok thanks i think im gona buy a juvie gecko at the next show in march. I am gona get a 65gallon tank and was thinkin of splitting it with a divider. im gona make the divider with 2 sheets of plexi and 1 sheet of plywood in the middle. im gona house a bearded dragon in the right 3/4s and a crestie or a pair in the other 1/4 of the tank. The cresties would have about 25 gallons i think. Please tell me if this could work out. Thanks

longswordjd

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. field_hockey_gal

Im not sure, beardies need higher heat, and if it is right next to it, it could make the crested tank hotter, unless you put it in the cool side, Im not sure how hot the need it so.... Also, that would only leave 40 gal for the beardie, they need a minimum of 55/65 and they would grow out of the 40 pretty fast. (right? Im not sure I only have read a few things). And cresties need a tall tank, so that would mean less floor space for the dragon, or less hight for the gecko if you were to get a 65.

I personally would get a seperate tank for the gecko(s) and beardie. If you are going to get two, make sure they are either both looking female (or you may be needing an extra cage to seperate male male or female male). Also if its two geckos - try for a thirty or bigger. I personally think 25 is small for two geckos.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I wouldn't try to house a beardie and one or more cresties in a single divided enclosure. Beardies need a basking spot no lower than 100 degrees and really 110 is better...baby/juvie beardies can go as high as 115 and be ok. The cool side of the enclosure could be right on the edge of too warm for the cresties. Cresties require much higher average humidity than a beardie. If a crestie was to somehow get into the beardie side of the enclosure, there's a real good chance the gecko would become a meal for the dragon.

My 7 month old male beardie is certainly big enough to see my 4 to 6 month old cresties as a potential meal...and I'm quite certain his jaw strength is enough to crush a gecko.

If you want a beardie and a crestie, plan on having two seperate setups...everyone involved will be much happier in the long run.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

well actually im gona make a tank that has approx. 135 gallons and split it 3/4. how can you post in a smalle pic??? ill show youmy plan if you tell me lol! ohh yah and the crestie cage would be about 4 feet away from the beardie baskin site. ( on the cool end)

longswordjd

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Are cresties susceptible to coccidia....or would this not be a worry? I only know Leo's are and would not want one so close to a beardie, even with a divider. If a cricket managed to get to the other side, well, that might be all it would take. Just a thought :)

13. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

the sides would be "airtight" as I like to say. The dividor will be up through the cage top.

longswordjd

14. field_hockey_gal

15. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

RE: Re: RE: Buyin a crestie: need some advice!

Longswordjd,

You seem to be very intent on your cage idea no matter how many people tell you it's a bad idea. I'm not saying I know for a fact it won't workout, it could very well be the best setup anyone could imagine...but I honestly don't think that's the case.

I wish you nothing but the best in your project but for your pet's sake and happiness I hope you reconsider and put each one it it's own enclosure.

16. crusty1

crusty1 Member

heres a few pics of my set up to give u some ideas...i perfer live plants as i think it would improve their living area, and to try to make them feel more at home...here we go.

chilln out

[​IMG]

the set

[​IMG]

17. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

welll KAOSRACING thats pretty much the case that im gona build this cage one way or another! lol
    i will use some live and some fake and some bamboo for my setup i guess. thanks

longswordjd

18. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't do this. Cresties are actually succeptable to a lot of diseases from other herps. You don't want them that close to others. They can even get sick from salmonela (sp?) unlike a lot of other reptiles that can carry it. Plus everything KAOSRacing said in an earlier post.

Really you should just have two tanks, it is going to just as easy to build and keep clean and will be much better for the health of your herps. In my opinion you are playing with fire, eventually something bad will happen to one or the other.

And just curious why you ask for help or suggestions on something when you are bent to do it that way no matter what people suggest?

19. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

well i just really wanted to get your reactions to my tank ideas. I will probably just build a seperate tank for cresties now. well thanks for the input even though you shatered my dream lol ! lol

longswordjd

20. crusty1

crusty1 Member

ya i think u should jsut have 2 different cages...bearded dragons and crested geckos have 2 TOTALLY different care needs, hot and dry, humid and wet...id be hard to keep humidity up in your crested cage...but you could take that 65 and make it into one MASSIVE crestie enclosure, thad be my dream.hmmmmmm... haha o well someday.

21. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

I think you ment humid and cool not wet... and ya 65gal for cresties oh the fun they would have :lol: but one BD I think would be happy in there good luck and post some pics when you finish everything

22. crusty1

crusty1 Member

ya haha my bad....oh ya beardie would be SO happy...btw what is the minimum size enclosure for a beardie...itsnt it a 50gal....?

23. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

ya I have read i few sheets and the magic minimum number that keeps poping up is 55gal for adults

24. amhjda1109

amhjda1109 New Member

A 55 gallon isn't minimum, everyone just thinks it is. The minimum for a beardie is 65. An adult beardie should have 6 feet of floor space. We are building a new cage for ours and it's 72x24x18 (lxwxh). If you need to know more, look at the beardie forum.

25. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

oh sorry bout that I was just going by what most care sheets were saying mybad and like you said the BD fourm might be a better place for this... all I have are Crested Geckos so I only know what I read :lol: